The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

When do gills start to become more prominent?

This is a discussion on When do gills start to become more prominent? within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; I'm wanting to get a better idea of how old my axolotl Mushu is, so I figured maybe his gills ...

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th November 2015   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: mushutheaxie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default When do gills start to become more prominent?

I'm wanting to get a better idea of how old my axolotl Mushu is, so I figured maybe his gills would tell me something? They aren't developed very prominently yet. They do not stick out too, too much. At what age will they start to appear more? Or is this just how his are going to look?

When do gills start to become more prominent?-img_7719.jpg

When do gills start to become more prominent?-ax.jpg

mushutheaxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2015   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Charlotl has started on the right path
Default Re: When do gills start to become more prominent?

Axolotl are born with fluffy gills. The length of the critter is used to determine an approximate age. Even this isn't super accurate since length depends on how well they were fed and even natural differences from one axolotl to the next.

Edit:
Just looked at your pictures. The gills are abnormally small and he is very thin. I would check the water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate) as well as temperature right away. Also, if you haven't already, give this web page a look http://www.axolotl.org/requirements.htm. It will give you lots of useful info on how to take care of aquatic salamanders.

Charlotl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2015   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: mushutheaxie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotl View Post
Axolotl are born with fluffy gills. The length of the critter is used to determine an approximate age. Even this isn't super accurate since length depends on how well they were fed and even natural differences from one axolotl to the next.

Edit:
Just looked at your pictures. The gills are abnormally small and he is very thin. I would check the water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate) as well as temperature right away. Also, if you haven't already, give this web page a look Axolotls - Requirements & Water Conditions in Captivity. It will give you lots of useful info on how to take care of aquatic salamanders.
these pics i took on the day I got him almost two weeks ago, in fact, the first picture was right after he was given to me in the store. he's gained some weight since then and seems incredibly active. I'll review the info though to be safe!

mushutheaxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2015   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: AxolotlChris has given good advice and informationAxolotlChris has given good advice and informationAxolotlChris has given good advice and information

This post is being dealt with in the 'Sick Axolotl' area of the forum.

Is my Axolotl unhealthy looking? Tiny gills?

Tags
age, gills

LinkBack