The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Hand Feeding axolotls

This is a discussion on Hand Feeding axolotls within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hello, I just ordered an axolotl from a breeder and it should be here soon. I'm very excited! I have ...

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th December 2015   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: JordynG45 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hand Feeding axolotls

Hello,
I just ordered an axolotl from a breeder and it should be here soon. I'm very excited! I have one question, I really want to hand feed my axolotl but I am not sure how to do that. I am planning on feeding them blood worms, Can anyone explain to me how to hand feed them?

Thank you for all your help!

-Jordyn

JordynG45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2015   #2 (permalink)
European Newt Group

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: ThoseNewtsTho has given consistently excellent advice and informationThoseNewtsTho has given consistently excellent advice and informationThoseNewtsTho has given consistently excellent advice and informationThoseNewtsTho has given consistently excellent advice and informationThoseNewtsTho has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default Re: Hand Feeding axolotls

Hand feeding is usually done with pieces or whole earthworms, and maybe larger pellets, rather than frozen bloodworms. That being said, frozen bloodworms are nutritionally incomplete and are not adequate as a staple for most axolotls larger than around 4".

Old 10th December 2015   #3 (permalink)
Ambystoma Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: TatoTesla has started on the right path

Blood worms are usually only fed to babies (along with pellets) and occasionally as a treat for adults. A tip for feeding your axolotl (if it's a baby) is to use a small tray of some sort (I use a terra cotta tray) to avoid it eating some of the substrate.. It also helps concentrate the food so it's easier to find and remove leftovers.

Hand feeding is really only practical when feeding earthworms as adults. In this case, you can chop them into smaller pieces (makes swallowing much more manageable) and hand feed them to your axie. I hope that helps!

TatoTesla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2015   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: JordynG45 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TatoTesla View Post
Blood worms are usually only fed to babies (along with pellets) and occasionally as a treat for adults. A tip for feeding your axolotl (if it's a baby) is to use a small tray of some sort (I use a terra cotta tray) to avoid it eating some of the substrate.. It also helps concentrate the food so it's easier to find and remove leftovers.

Hand feeding is really only practical when feeding earthworms as adults. In this case, you can chop them into smaller pieces (makes swallowing much more manageable) and hand feed them to your axie. I hope that helps!
This makes so much sense, do you know where I can find clean earthworms? I know that you can't use the ones out in the garden due to parasites and such. Do pet stores carry them?

JordynG45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2015   #5 (permalink)
Ambystoma Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: TatoTesla has started on the right path

I know that stores like Petco and Petsmart usually carry them! Walmart also does (in most locations I think) in the fishing section. If you're really having a hard time finding them, you can try bait shops (though bait shops don't have the cleanest worms). You can also order them online and/or culture them yourself.

TatoTesla is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack