The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Pelleted Axolotl food

This is a discussion on Pelleted Axolotl food within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; I've been doing a lot of research on the best diets for Axolotls (don't have any yet, still learning and ...

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Elise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th January 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: moth is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pelleted Axolotl food

I've been doing a lot of research on the best diets for Axolotls (don't have any yet, still learning and putting my tank together.) and I've been seeing a lot of responses with various types of sinking pellets. I've seen salmon pellet, carnivorous tropical fish pellet, turtle pellet, and food specifically designed for Axies (Though all the websites I've seen for them don't have them for sale in the US or at all for some reason).

I figured aside from the pellets a diet of earthworms mainly and some bloodworms and brineshrimp to spice things up was good. But, I did want to add a pelleted food if I can find one in my area since a lot of experienced owners seem to use them. Which so far I cannot find.

Is there a certain website that US owners use to order it? I haven't checked my exotic pet place too thoroughly but every other petstore/fishstore in my area has nothing useful.

Thanks in advance !

moth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2016   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: LSuzuki has given good advice and informationLSuzuki has given good advice and informationLSuzuki has given good advice and information
Default Re: Pelleted Axolotl food

Hikari sinking carnivore pellets work. (I looked at the Hikari massivore pellets too, but decided that the copper content made me nervous.) They stay together much better than some others. You can order them on-line or get them in some fish stores.

In the for sale forum. Michael Shrom has some pellets too, at a reasonable price. These are nutritious and the axies like them, however, they disintegrate faster.

Regardless of which you get, you don't want to leave left-overs in the tank.

LSuzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2016   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: AxolotlChris has given good advice and informationAxolotlChris has given good advice and informationAxolotlChris has given good advice and information

I use JBL Novolotl XL, these are available in America from ebay or selected sellers. They work perfectly as sinking pellets, have the correct nutrition and do not break apart too quickly. https://www.jbl.de/?lang=en&mod=prod...detail&id=4996

https://www.jbl.de/en/closest-retail...e-shop-locator

Earthworms and pellets its the best staple diet. If you end up not being able to source worms, or you run out, you have the pellets for back up.

Caudata Culture Articles - Food Items for Captive Caudates
Caudata Culture Articles - Worms

Old 14th January 2016   #4 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: Elise is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgElise is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgElise is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgElise is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgElise is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Usually when you see "axolotl pellets" referenced on these forums, it's usually speaking specifically of the soft-moist salmon pellets made by Rangen, Inc. They are vitamin and mineral fortified, fish-meal-based sinking pellets, 1/8" (3 mm) in diameter. These are the pellets used by a number of the respected breeders in our forum group, as well as recommended and used by the Ambystoma Genetic Stock Center (AGSC)(source).

I've used them for a few years now as a staple food with good results.

You can purchase 50lb bags direct from the manufacturer (which is more than you will probably ever use) or purchase them in smaller quantities from members here.

Old 26th January 2016   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Orchid225 is an unknown quantity at this point

Where can I get the Rangan pellets in Canada?

Orchid225 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
food, pellet

LinkBack