The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

The sex of my Axolotl?

This is a discussion on The sex of my Axolotl? within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hi all! An axie I received from an awesome breeder on this site it growing well and has gotten much ...

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Severance
  • 1 Post By RupertxGiles
  • 2 Post By Petersgirl

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th January 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Severance is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The sex of my Axolotl?

Hi all! An axie I received from an awesome breeder on this site it growing well and has gotten much larger than when he/she arrived.

I was even debating getting another in the future, but I'd like to avoid babies so I'm trying to determine the sex of my current lotl.

I know the usual methods for determining sex, but I'd like to know what you guys think. Is he/she even old enough to be sexed (I don't know the exact age)? Which sex do you think he/she is?

Thanks in advance!

Video of him/her:

https://www.facebook.com/eryn.esch/v...22240672794062

Severance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2016   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: RupertxGiles has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: The sex of my Axolotl?

It would definitely be helpful to get some better angles, and closeups...but from that video alone I would say you have quite a pretty female. Gorgeous axie by the way, the fluffy gills are beautiful. I also see you have a barebottom tank and appear to be feeding earthworms. You are off to a great start!

RupertxGiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2016   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 3
Comments: 3
Rep: Petersgirl has given consistently excellent advice and informationPetersgirl has given consistently excellent advice and informationPetersgirl has given consistently excellent advice and informationPetersgirl has given consistently excellent advice and informationPetersgirl has given consistently excellent advice and information

I agree, she looks like a little lady to me, but then she might be a boy who has yet to bloom (I thought two axolotls I gave to another person were both boys, but they turned out to be male and female, so it can happen).

She is gorgeous! Well done to both yourself and the breeder - those gills are to die for! I'm also quite partial to Leucys anyway (please don't tell my WT or Goldie), and she is a stunner.

Old 27th January 2016   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Severance is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you both kindly! She (I'm going to go with that for now) has been growing so fast since I started her on the bigger worms not long ago.

I keep trying to get better pictures but unless it's feeding time she doesn't seem to want to be in front of the camera.

Severance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2016   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: LoriML has started on the right path

Agree, female :)

LoriML is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axololt sex, new axie

LinkBack