The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Axolotl to Human Diseases

This is a discussion on Axolotl to Human Diseases within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hello, this is an incredibly embarrassing question, but is it possible for my axolotl to give me a disease? I ...

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By xxianxx
  • 1 Post By Jeremy
  • 1 Post By LSuzuki

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th February 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Jeremy is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Axolotl to Human Diseases

Hello, this is an incredibly embarrassing question, but is it possible for my axolotl to give me a disease? I was cleaning my tank with my gavel vacuum and was sucking air in to get it started (I don't have one of those newfangled ones where you don't have to risk your health) and I accidentally got some in my mouth. I spat it out as quickly as I could and finished cleaning my tank, then rinsed my mouth out with mouthwash.

There was no poo in the tank, and I cleaned it pretty recently before this (Like 2-4 days, I can't remember). My axie is in a little quarantine tank (5 gallons, his usual tank is 20 gallons), which has a bare bottom, because he has a little spot of fungus on his gill (I think it's getting better, and regardless he is still eating and active).

Am I going to get stomach fungus or salmonella or something?

I'm new to this, I'm sorry to have to ask. Thanks for your time!

Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2016   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Comments: 7
Rep: xxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Axolotl to Human Diseases

Lol, many people on here get mouthfulls of tank water at some point, not many seem to die so I wouldn't be too worried. How ever this does not remove the slight possibility of exposure to salmonella and a few other bugs. Tb is also a risk from aquariums with fish in, not sure about axolotls. Either way chill out, doubt it will be the last time.

Old 25th February 2016   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Jeremy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, I appreciate your quick reply, I sure hope I don't die of dysentery or something.

Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2016   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: LSuzuki has given good advice and informationLSuzuki has given good advice and informationLSuzuki has given good advice and information

There is a trick to starting an "old fashioned" gravel cleaner without sucking on it. All it requires is enough room above the aquarium (and it is rare to not have enough room.)

Submerge the gravel cleaner. Tip it so the open end is pointing up. Lift it straight up above the edge of the tank so that the siphon starts. As soon as the siphon starts flowing, quickly submerge it straight down again. then, vacuum gravel as usual.

The only "gotcha" is you also need to hold onto the end of the tubing so it doesn't pop out of the bucket and spew water all over the floor.

LSuzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2016   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: manderkeeper has started on the right path

I suppose anything is possible but zoonotic illness from Axolotl probably isn't a very big risk compared to say driving, eating fast food, smoking, forgetting to change batteries in smoke detectors, etc.

manderkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2016   #6 (permalink)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Rep: michael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Unless you have a condition that suppresses your immune system I wouldn't worry. I would avoid doing it again. I once had an atypical pneumonia that made me question my syphoning techniques a little.

michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2016   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: LoriML has started on the right path

Another trick (if I can explain it right) is submerge the gravel cleaner, make sure the end is in the bucket or whatever, lift the tip of the cleaner up a little to release the air bubbles, point it back down again and quickly raise it and lower it, maybe 15 times or so, and that will start the siphon going.

LoriML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2016   #8 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: AxolotlChris has given good advice and informationAxolotlChris has given good advice and informationAxolotlChris has given good advice and information

I use this siphon: EDGE Gravel Cleaner | 11057 | Maintenance | Fluval

'Fluval EDGE Gravel Cleaner is a convenient and effective tool for cleaning and maintaining a spotless aquarium. It features an easy-start valve that automatically begins siphoning with a simple up and down motion in the water. As you clean the aquarium, the gravel cleaner generates a continuous flow of water that effectively sucks up dirt and debris and returns clean gravel back to the bottom of the aquarium.

Dirty water is expelled into a bucket. The gravel cleaner comes with two cleaning attachments that allow precision cleaning: a gravel head for deep cleaning and a slim nozzle head for hard to reach areas. The precision heads are especially effective in planted and decorated aquariums. The gravel cleaner features an exclusive gravel guard that prevents gravel from clogging the tube.
'

Works great

Old 26th February 2016   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: NaterPotater has started on the right path

Oregon Trail style. haha

NaterPotater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2016   #10 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: NaterPotater has started on the right path

I don't know if I have a totally different type of siphon or not, but it does NOT require human-powered sucking to get it started. haha. It's basically just a tube with a much wider portion on one side. I put the whole thing under water to get all the air out, plug the small side with my finger and then put it in a bucket, then when I release my finger the water starts flowing and it sucks the water out of the tank from the wide side still submerged in the tank. lol.

NaterPotater is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axolotl, disease, fungus, mouth, salmonella, swallow, water

LinkBack