The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Help! Axolotl stuck inside aquarium decor!!

This is a discussion on Help! Axolotl stuck inside aquarium decor!! within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; My axolotl, Rocket, climbed inside of a hole that was in a root decoration in my tank. That was over ...

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st April 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: MoniWonton has started on the right path
Exclamation Help! Axolotl stuck inside aquarium decor!!

My axolotl, Rocket, climbed inside of a hole that was in a root decoration in my tank. That was over six hours ago... He hasn't come out all day, and I'm beginning to think he is stuck. My other axie used to swim in and out of this decoration frequently, but has since overgrown it. Rocket is much fatter than my other axie so I do believe he has gotten stuck. They are both large juvies, about 7-7.5 inches, and have verocious appetites. Rocket missed meal-time today, and being the fatty he is, he NEVER skips a meal. Any ideas to get him out? The pic attached is of the hole in the decor with my other axie coming out of it about 2 months ago. They are much larger now.
Attached Thumbnails
Help! Axolotl stuck inside aquarium decor!!-image.jpg  

MoniWonton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2016   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Donna001 has given good advice and informationDonna001 has given good advice and informationDonna001 has given good advice and information
Default Re: Help! Axolotl stuck inside aquarium decor!!

Um, I've not had to deal with this sort of thing before, but do you know which way he is facing? They can reverse, but they don't seem to be good at it. Perhaps it's worth using a torch to see where and how he is stuck.
I'm guessing the ornament can be moved, so when you know which way he's facing you could move the ornament through the water in the direction that will help him to reverse back the way he came.
Have you also tried holding food at his tail end to see if he will reverse out.
As a last resort I guess you could slowly pull the ornament out of the water and hope that gravity helps him to slip out.
If you can use a torch to see how he is, and let us know, perhaps more people will have more ideas.
Best of luck.

Donna001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2016   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Kilolotlkeeper is an unknown quantity at this point

If your careful you can use your hands, but be extremely careful, and like Donna said use a flashlight to see if it would be safe first

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kilolotlkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice needed, axolotl help, hide, juvenile, stuck in decor

LinkBack