The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Will my axolotl die overnight?!?

This is a discussion on Will my axolotl die overnight?!? within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; So I got a new tank today and as a result have to keep my axolotls in small separate little ...

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th April 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: TonksKingsley is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Will my axolotl die overnight?!?

So I got a new tank today and as a result have to keep my axolotls in small separate little tanks overnight. They seem ok but I decided to swap them over because one is a lot bigger but was in the smaller tank. Anyway after I did it I realised the tempuratures were quite different between the two little tanks. How badly will this effect them. They will be back in the big tank tomorrow........ HALP!!!

TonksKingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2016   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Donna001 has given good advice and informationDonna001 has given good advice and informationDonna001 has given good advice and information
Default Re: Will my axolotl die overnight?!?

Hi TonksKingsley and welcome to the forum.

The tank situation is unfortunate, but don't panic.
Do you know what temperatures they were? What temperatures are the tanks now? Are either axolotls showing any unusual behaviour? Do they seem stressed?

Keep a close eye on them for now. I should imagine that the change in temperature may have been a bit of a shock, as temperature fluctuations are not good, but it is usually temperatures greater than 23/24C for longer periods of time that are the worst and the most dangerous.

Do you have a cycled filter for the new tank? Make sure that you check the water parameters before you put your axolotls into the new tank.

Best of luck.

Donna001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2016   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: TonksKingsley is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Donna
Woke up this morning and they both seem fine. Temps if the small tanks seem on the low end. Although, the new tank is taking ages to settle. I think I'm going to have to leave them in the small tanks today while I'm at work . Will that be ok?! Any tips?!

TonksKingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2016   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Donna001 has given good advice and informationDonna001 has given good advice and informationDonna001 has given good advice and information

Should be fine as long as you make sure that they have clean water. With a quarantined axolotl it is usual to keep them in a small container with daily complete water changes. Small containers risk rapid ammonia build up, so frequent water changes are essential. As long as the water parameters are excellent your little ones will be fine.
When your new tank is settled make sure you test the water parameters and that the tank is cycled before putting your axolotls into the new tank.

Donna001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axolotl, help and advice needed, new tank, temparature

LinkBack