The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Feeding & Cycling w/Established Tank

This is a discussion on Feeding & Cycling w/Established Tank within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hi all! A little bit ago I got my two axolotl babies in perfect health from Margie. I've been feeding ...

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd April 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: ashleenc716 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Feeding & Cycling w/Established Tank

Hi all!
A little bit ago I got my two axolotl babies in perfect health from Margie. I've been feeding them frozen blood worm cubes 2x a day, but now that they're getting bigger, I'm wondering if I should be feeding them something else and how much...

I'm a beginner axolotl owner, and I tried to look through the forums a little for the answer.

Also, my two babies are currently in a 20 Gal, but I recently purchased a 65 Gal for them and plan to set it up in the next few days. I read previously that you can cycle a new tank with the water of an established tank. Does anyone have any suggestions/tips/general information on that process? To cycle my current tank, it took me about 2 months using fish flakes.

Thanks in advance!

ashleenc716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2016   #2 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: Skudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and informationSkudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and informationSkudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and informationSkudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and informationSkudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default Re: Feeding & Cycling w/Established Tank

Transition them to earthworms if you can as these make a more nutritious staple food as the get bigger.

Most of the beneficial bacteria lives on the surfaces rather than in the water itself. A large portion will be in the filter media but will also be in the substrate and on ornaments etc. If you can seed some filter media across to the new tank and maybe even some substrate this will help establish colonies of the beneficial bacteria in the new tank and speed up the cycling process. You will still need to cycle the new tank and monitor parameters closely.

Old 28th April 2016   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: ashleenc716 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Feeding & Cycling w/Established Tank

Thank you very much, I'm already noticing a change in the nitrites FAR sooner than I thought I would. I'm very excited to move them on over. Thank you!

ashleenc716 is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack