The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Is it normal for newly hatched Axolotls to just lay on the bottom?

This is a discussion on Is it normal for newly hatched Axolotls to just lay on the bottom? within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; My eggs arrived and two had hatched in the post poor babies! They're alive but just laying on the bottom... ...

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By auntiejude
  • 1 Post By Petersgirl
  • 1 Post By Petersgirl

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd April 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 7
Rep: AmberLouiseT has started on the right path
Unhappy Is it normal for newly hatched Axolotls to just lay on the bottom?

My eggs arrived and two had hatched in the post poor babies!
They're alive but just laying on the bottom... I'm new to this so I'm very unsure of myself.
Is this normal behavior? I separated them into separate little containers and put in some tiny baby daphnia just in case they'd hatched over 24 hours ago and were starting to get a bit hungry but so far they've just twitched every now and again but other than that - just stayed still at the bottom.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

AmberLouiseT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2016   #2 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: auntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Is it normal for newly hatched Axolotl's to just lay on the bottom?

Completely normal. They are still absorbing the yolk sac, but tiny ones don't move unless they have to - to feed or when disturbed.

Old 25th April 2016   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 3
Comments: 3
Rep: Petersgirl has given consistently excellent advice and informationPetersgirl has given consistently excellent advice and informationPetersgirl has given consistently excellent advice and informationPetersgirl has given consistently excellent advice and informationPetersgirl has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default Re: Is it normal for newly hatched Axolotls to just lay on the bottom?

Auntiejude's right. As you correctly stated, they can feed on that yolk for around 2 days before they need to feed. Good call on Daphnia, since they won't die like BBS would. The babies will eat when they're ready.

Good luck with your babies!

Old 25th April 2016   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 7
Rep: AmberLouiseT has started on the right path

Thank you both! My tiny albino one is jerking around a bit today which makes me think he/she is eating the tiny daphnia! I am SO relieved. However, the other may still be absorbing the yolk sac as it's not showing any interest in the daphnia babies or in moving about unless the albino one bumps into it!

AmberLouiseT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2016   #5 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 3
Comments: 3
Rep: Petersgirl has given consistently excellent advice and informationPetersgirl has given consistently excellent advice and informationPetersgirl has given consistently excellent advice and informationPetersgirl has given consistently excellent advice and informationPetersgirl has given consistently excellent advice and information

That's one upside to BBS - their bellies become orange, so you can see exactly how much they've eaten.

Tags
axolotl advice, axolotl babies, axolotl behavior, axolotl feeding, please help

LinkBack