The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Adding dechlorinator to the stream of tap water while changing water

This is a discussion on Adding dechlorinator to the stream of tap water while changing water within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hey everyone, Thanks in advance for the help. I bought a python syphon for my 55 gallon tank, will have ...

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By michael

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th May 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Griffan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Adding dechlorinator to the stream of tap water while changing water

Hey everyone,

Thanks in advance for the help. I bought a python syphon for my 55 gallon tank, will have axolotls in it once it is fully cycled. Just wanted to know if anybody here is adding dechlorinator WHILE doing a water change? And by that I mean, start putting in water from the tap with a hose, and as soon as it starts pouring, add dechlorinator to the stream. Is this ok to do? Or should you add it before?

Thanks

Griffan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2016   #2 (permalink)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Rep: michael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Adding dechlorinator to the stream of tap water while changing water

That is how I usually do it. It is important that the hose is food safe. Some manufacturers use harsh chemicals when making garden hoses. Their was an incident at a local zoo where they lost a tank full of dart frogs and it was traced back to the use of a new garden hose. I use the white hoses that usually are labeled something like camper hose or potable water safe.

michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2016   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Default Re: Adding dechlorinator to the stream of tap water while changing water

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael View Post
That is how I usually do it. It is important that the hose is food safe. Some manufacturers use harsh chemicals when making garden hoses. Their was an incident at a local zoo where they lost a tank full of dart frogs and it was traced back to the use of a new garden hose. I use the white hoses that usually are labeled something like camper hose or potable water safe.
Thanks for the reply, I'm using a python syphon, it's specifically made for aquariums. So just to clarify, you turn on the water, then add dechlorinator to the stream? Doesn't seem to have adverse effects to the axolotls at all?

Old 9th May 2016   #4 (permalink)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Rep: michael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

I just put the dechlorinator in the tank and add tap water for large axolotl tanks. For my small tanks I add dechlorinator to water in a bucket and dump it in right away.

michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2016   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: ohaxies is an unknown quantity at this point

I also use a python to drain and fill my axolotl aquarium. I start filling it up and immediately put in dechlorinater for about ten gallons. I usually stay next to it and watch and add it every five gallons or so. But, we also have a stupid amount of chlorine in the water so we have to watch carefully.

ohaxies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2016   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:

Awesome thanks for the input

Tags
axolotl, dechlorinator, water change

LinkBack