The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Average Body Mass for Adult Male Axolotl?

This is a discussion on Average Body Mass for Adult Male Axolotl? within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hi, My leucistic axolotl Trent is approximately 6.5-7 inches long. He is in a 20 gal reptile tank, normally filled ...

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By auntiejude

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th June 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: holdonbaby is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Average Body Mass for Adult Male Axolotl?

Hi,

My leucistic axolotl Trent is approximately 6.5-7 inches long. He is in a 20 gal reptile tank, normally filled to about 17 gallons. Water temp is around 75F/23C (slightly higher than I'd prefer it as I know they like lower temps but I can't afford a chiller). I've had him since September 2015; I'd approximate that he's a little under a year old as I got him when he was very small. He's recently reached sexual maturity, as was indicated by grey finger and toe tips, and I'm 95% certain he's male.

As he's matured, I've noticed several changes in his eating habits. In order to provide him with the best nutrition possible and keep him at a healthy weight, I need to know what an average body mass is for an axolotl at Trent's stage in life. I realize that it's nearly impossible to weigh an axolotl, though, so I'm thinking it may be easier to give body proportions. I.e. "head is 1.5 size of body" or something like that.

-signed a still relative axolotl newb

holdonbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2016   #2 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: auntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Average Body Mass for Adult Male Axolotl?

1. dark toe tips DO NOT mean maturity.
2. body mass depends on length and gender.
3. their body should be as wide as their head. Males tend to be slimmer than females.
4. if you post a pic of your axie we may be able to confirm gender for you.

Old 14th June 2016   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:

I've attached two pictures I took of him this evening. His body is somewhat slimmer than the width of his head. I'll bulk him up some more. What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
Average Body Mass for Adult Male Axolotl?-imag2596.jpg   Average Body Mass for Adult Male Axolotl?-imag2597.jpg  

Old 14th June 2016   #4 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: auntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Looks good, but you need to remove the gravel.

Old 15th June 2016   #5 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: AxolotlChris has given good advice and informationAxolotlChris has given good advice and informationAxolotlChris has given good advice and information

Agree on the gravel, its a perfect size to be ingested

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/substrate1.shtml

Last edited by AxolotlChris; 15th June 2016 at 09:55. Reason: Additional information
AxolotlChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2016   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:

I wouldn't exactly call it gravel; river rocks was the official name on the bag. I researched it pretty thoroughly before introducing it to the tank because of all of the horror stories on axies ingesting it. At the time every piece was larger than his head; now, there are some pieces that I assume he could bite but I think it'd be incredibly difficult for him to swallow...perhaps the picture I took made it appear smaller? I appreciate your input; if I remove it, do you have a suggestion of what to replace it with? Bare bottom tanks are harder to keep clean as the waste doesn't have a place to settle in the substrate. That being said, Trent's health is my primary goal so I'm willing to do whatever it takes to keep him happy and safe.

Old 23rd June 2016   #7 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: AxolotlChris has given good advice and informationAxolotlChris has given good advice and informationAxolotlChris has given good advice and information

Bare bottom is actually easier when using a siphon, I have one of my tanks bare bottom and its always pristine as I siphon waste as I see it. I would remove the stones

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 23rd June 2016   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxolotlChris View Post
Bare bottom is actually easier when using a siphon, I have one of my tanks bare bottom and its always pristine as I siphon waste as I see it. I would remove the stones

Ah, ok, I'll take them out. Thanks for the information.

Tags
adult axolotl, body weight, healthy?, leucistic, male axolotl

LinkBack