The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Redworms for axolotl?

This is a discussion on Redworms for axolotl? within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; So I've been trying to set up an earthworm farm for my two axies but it's failed 3 times, mostly ...

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Otterwoman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th September 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Kizu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Redworms for axolotl?

So I've been trying to set up an earthworm farm for my two axies but it's failed 3 times, mostly because I wasn't able to get enough worms into the farm and these buggers get hungry! so they can't reproduce as fast I guess.

While looking to buy live worms it seems the most sold type of worm here is the Californian Redworm (Eisenia Foetida), would this be as good as plain earthworms for an axolotl? I can try to keep two farms (earthworms and redworms) so I can feed them redworms while the earthworm farms grows large enough, and then alternate between those two.

Kizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2016   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: tipnatee has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Redworms for axolotl?

Red worms , you mean red wiggler worms? I always thought of them as an earth worm also as any other Nightcrawler.

tipnatee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2016   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:

Yes, red wigglers, I've seen in these forums various post about some axies don't liking them or them being toxic

Old 16th September 2016   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11

Red wigglers are different from nightcrawlers. Newts supposedly do not like the taste, but they can be taught to eat them. Nightcrawlers have a life cycle such that you cannot breed them in your basement, as you can with red wigglers.

I work in a prison, and I can attest to the fact that creatures will get used the the most distasteful of foods, if given no choice. But is that the way you want to treat your pets?

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2016   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Holly12 has shown reliable knowledge

I started a red wiggler colony for my axie. I have read that if you rinse them before feeding, it helps get the nasty tasting slime off and they eat them.

Old 17th September 2016   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: tipnatee has shown reliable knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterwoman View Post
Red wigglers are different from nightcrawlers. Newts supposedly do not like the taste, but they can be taught to eat them. Nightcrawlers have a life cycle such that you cannot breed them in your basement, as you can with red wigglers.

I work in a prison, and I can attest to the fact that creatures will get used the the most distasteful of foods, if given no choice. But is that the way you want to treat your pets?
For a long time I thought I was wrong about red wiggler since lots of people seems to like it , yet I haven't been very supportive about feeding it to axie as much. my Nightcrawler batch I bought sometime had a few red wiggler in them I usually pick them out. It's good to know that my action aren't all so bad. And I wasn't the only one that think red wiggler taste bad for axie although the I never taste it my self so I couldn't prove it

tipnatee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2016   #7 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Rep: Niels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

I'm feeding a lot of D.veneta, because they're in my compost heap. They're not tasty as well, so I soak them in water for a few hours before feeding, which seem to work.

P.r.schrenckii/L.laoensis/P.deloustali/P.chinensis/P.guangxiensis/Paramesotriton sp (Roter Warzenmolch)/S.lacertina/Triturus macedonicus/T.dobrogicus macrosoma/T. karelinii/C.e.popei/N.viridescens/P.waltl/C.orientalis
Niels D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2016   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:

I've finally bought red wigglers, but at the same time I've also found a local earthworm seller, I'll just keep the wigglers as a back up in case I run out of earthworms.

Old 18th September 2016   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Holly12 has shown reliable knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niels D View Post
I'm feeding a lot of D.veneta, because they're in my compost heap. They're not tasty as well, so I soak them in water for a few hours before feeding, which seem to work.
Are they still alive after you soak them? With my night crawlers, I just soak and feed. How long do you soak the wigglers? I have a colony I'm waiting to grow so I can use them as feeders. I hope that wasn't a waste....

Tags
axolotl feeding, food, worms

LinkBack