The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Upgrading tanks?!

This is a discussion on Upgrading tanks?! within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; I recently was given a new tank for Bowie that measures 70cmx35x35 as an upgrade (approx 75L, 20g)from his itty ...

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st October 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: hairdressica is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Upgrading tanks?!

I recently was given a new tank for Bowie that measures 70cmx35x35 as an upgrade (approx 75L, 20g)from his itty bitty 20L tank(as I'm thinking of one day adding a new axie -would two fit??)

The new tank has been cleaned (as well as I could) without chemicals
How do I go about moving Bowie across?
His (?)current tank isn't completely cycled but I know it's not suitable in the long term

I've currently got 3 what I call "cannon fodder fish" in the large tank to try jump start the cycle, but Bowie is fast out growing the 20L and I'm anxious to upgrade. I will be putting all the decor from the small tank across when he moves (as I know they carry good bacteria) but really want to get him upgraded ASAP
What are people's recommendations?

(It's also very annoying having two filters running when you're trying to sleep- but it's what I'm willing to do for this ridiculous little creature)
Attached Thumbnails
Upgrading tanks?!-img_7454.jpg   Upgrading tanks?!-img_7463.jpg   Upgrading tanks?!-img_7464.jpg  

hairdressica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2016   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Atrus808 has shown reliable knowledge

Hi, just left you a message on your previous post...Then I saw this one.
Since you aren't cycled on either tank at this point and you put Bowie back in the original tank, you could just move him into the new one. Place as much original filter media and ornaments/hides so you don't lose all the existing bacteria.
Remember, test test test and frequent water changes if you continue to cycle with Bowie in the tank.
P.S. Remember to remove the fish, don't keep them with Bowie 😉

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Atrus808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2016   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Question Re: Upgrading tanks?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atrus808 View Post
Hi, just left you a message on your previous post...Then I saw this one.
Since you aren't cycled on either tank at this point and you put Bowie back in the original tank, you could just move him into the new one. Place as much original filter media and ornaments/hides so you don't lose all the existing bacteria.
Remember, test test test and frequent water changes if you continue to cycle with Bowie in the tank.
P.S. Remember to remove the fish, don't keep them with Bowie 😉

My main concern here is that the new tank is so incredibly cloudy that i can barely see... I only recently got Bowies current tiny tank all cleared up and s/he seems so calm and just like their usual self... i dont wanna jeopardize that

...I also have no idea HOW to put the old filter media in the new filter (as i dont know how to open the new filter???)
I just dont want the ammonia fear again, the tiny tank ammonia has lowered and im only just showing signs of nitrates... i think

I also have no where to put the fish then???

Old 1st November 2016   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:

Personally, I would suggest keeping Bowie is the smaller tank until you can cycle the bigger one. It sounds like your cycle is finally starting in the small tank. Just be sure to test frequently and do water changes to keep the levels in check

Old 1st November 2016   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Default Re: Upgrading tanks?!

Quote:
Personally, I would suggest keeping Bowie is the smaller tank until you can cycle the bigger one. It sounds like your cycle is finally starting in the small tank. Just be sure to test frequently and do water changes to keep the levels in check

OOPS - nitrITES are showing - but only just. its not 0ppm, and not .25ppm - but definitely not just blue anymore
Im about to do another water change now
Having the plant in the tank is doing wonders... may have to invest in more for my large tank.. how does lucky bamboo do in a tank?
Attached Thumbnails
Upgrading tanks?!-14937062_10154625679738077_1277788529_n.jpg   Upgrading tanks?!-14938057_10154625679468077_644755200_n.jpg  

Old 1st November 2016   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:

I've never had lucky bamboo in my tanks but I have had them as desk plants. They need to be only partially submerged, at least half or more of the top should be out of the water. Maybe someone with previous experience can give you a better opinion on lucky bamboo.
I personally use anubias nana on driftwood and floating water lettuce in my tank

Old 1st November 2016   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Default Re: Upgrading tanks?!

Quote:
I've never had lucky bamboo in my tanks but I have had them as desk plants. They need to be only partially submerged, at least half or more of the top should be out of the water. Maybe someone with previous experience can give you a better opinion on lucky bamboo.
I personally use anubias nana on driftwood and floating water lettuce in my tank

ive got lucky bamboo on my unit and its doing really well.. it cant help to try - bamboo is like, $3
the plant i have in bowies tank is a "Broad Corymbosa" and it seems splendid.
how does the moss do??

Also should i keep bowie in this tiny tank until the other one is cycled. what d'ya reckon is the time it'll tank to cycle the large tank??

Tags
axolotl set up, axolotl tank, cycling tank, tank, tank cycle, tank cycling, tank set up, upgrade tank

LinkBack