The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

A few requests for advice?? Thank you!

This is a discussion on A few requests for advice?? Thank you! within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hiya! I've had Bowie for around a month now (yay!) I'd really like to be able to sex her( I ...

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th November 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: hairdressica is an unknown quantity at this point
Question A few requests for advice?? Thank you!

Hiya!
I've had Bowie for around a month now (yay!)
I'd really like to be able to sex her( I think it's a her?) for mating purposes eventually.
How can you tell? There's no raised bump thing near the butt??

I'd also like advice on my tank and parameters
Bowie is currently in a cycling 10G. I change the water daily as my water always has quite high ammonia. She seems fine when dealing with it so I'm not worried.
I'm now showing Nitrates and nitrites
Am I close to finishing my cycling?
(I also changed the water after this test and ammonia is much lower)

I'm going to upgrade her to a 20G once it's finished cycling
Would I be able to keep two axies in the one tank? (When box axies are the same size)
How hard is it to look after an ultra juvenile axolotl (like, only front set of legs)?

(I've attached a bunch of pictures. I hope you can help)
Attached Thumbnails
A few requests for advice?? Thank you!-img_7681.jpg   A few requests for advice?? Thank you!-img_7687.jpg   A few requests for advice?? Thank you!-img_7689.jpg   A few requests for advice?? Thank you!-img_7688.jpg   A few requests for advice?? Thank you!-image.jpg  

hairdressica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2016   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Canecorsonewt has shown reliable knowledgeCanecorsonewt has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: A few requests for advice?? Thank you!

Your ammonia and nitrite look very high from your photo. Do you use water conditioner? I would suggest changing at least 50% of your water every day with conditioned water in till ammonia and nitrite are in safe rang. I have been through this when i first got my newts, that is basically what i did. After about 2 or 3 days your ammonia and nitrite should test in safe rang consistently, then go to daily water changes of 15%. I don't know how experienced you are, but you don't need to mess with filter unless it gets clogged, bacteria on the filter is most impotent. Should take about 6 weeks to cycle aquarium.

Other people on this forum might be able to tell you if you're over stocking your tank,that might be why you have such high test results to. Good luck

Canecorsonewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2016   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Canecorsonewt has shown reliable knowledgeCanecorsonewt has shown reliable knowledge

Substrate might help with cycling, might be easier to grow bacteria on then glass just my guess. If you do decide to use sand now be a great time to put in new tank, it can make water cloudy for a few days even with a few full water changes.

I would Not put substrate in tank your axolotl in know, just leave cycling tank with axolotl be in till it cycles, besides doing water changes.

Canecorsonewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2016   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: hairdressica is an unknown quantity at this point

I am aware that my parameters are high.
I change 50% water daily. Bowie does. It seem out of character when AMMONIA is around 1.0
I had substrate in my tank, but it caused too much weight so I took it out.
I keep an incredibly close eye on my tank with Bowie in. I still worry parapets are high, but I'm doing the absolute best I can. I use my Nutrafin Water conditioner and my Nutrafin biological additive with water changes. And I use correct doses.

Any advice for my other questions?

hairdressica is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ammonia, axolotl, axolotl advice, axolotl breeding, axolotl help, axolotl sex, faq, juvenile, parameters, tank

LinkBack