The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

HELP: My Axolotl Laid Eggs!

This is a discussion on HELP: My Axolotl Laid Eggs! within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; So I walked into my room to find that my female, Chestopher, has lain a bunch of eggs! I have ...

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th November 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Lashy337 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question HELP: My Axolotl Laid Eggs!

So I walked into my room to find that my female, Chestopher, has lain a bunch of eggs! I have never bred axolotls (or anything else) before, so I have no idea what I'm doing. What do I do? So far I've taken the two males into a separate tank so she can lay eggs in peace, and hopefully so less of the eggs get eaten. Aside from that, what do I do? My first thought was to make sure she's well fed, but she's not really interested in food at this point. Birthing aside, she seems very healthy, so I'm not super worried about her at this juncture-- but what on earth do I do with the eggs?

Lashy337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2016   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: ianfletcher is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: HELP: My Axolotl Laid Eggs!

First off, once the female is done layer her eggs, I would either remover her or the eggs from the tank. The eggs can easily be moved from tank to tank with no harm. If the eggs are on plants, this process is much easier. The eggs will begin to hatch about 23 days after the eggs were laid, depending on the temperature. Once the eggs hatch, you will not need to feed them for the first day or so, but after that they will need feed often. I personally feed mine baby brine shrimp (BBS), however, there is a multitude of foods that can be feed. If you do go the BBS rout, you will need to by eggs and hatch those in a small hatchery. (There are many videos on youtube on how to do this) The baby axolotls will grow very rapidly and, after a month or 2, you will be able to begin feeding them axolotl pellets.

If you would rather not take on the task of raising these axolotls, I would galdly take them off your hands

ianfletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2016   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: AxolotlChris has given good advice and informationAxolotlChris has given good advice and informationAxolotlChris has given good advice and information

Sell them, give them away, or cull them by freezing them. For now they can stay in the tank if you want to give them away or sell them. You can transport the eggs in plastic fish carrying bags, or in plastic bottles.

Old 28th November 2016   #4 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: auntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianfletcher View Post
The eggs will begin to hatch about 23 days after the eggs were laid, depending on the temperature.
It's usually 2 weeks. The only way to delay them that long would be to chill them in the fridge.

Old 29th November 2016   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:

I think I've decided I'm going to sell the eggs. Several people have recommended sending them in a water bottle, so that sounds like what I'll do. How much is a fair but decent price for eggs? The prices I've seen have generally been around $25 for thirty eggs, does that sound about right?

Old 29th November 2016   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Wysper has shown reliable knowledgeWysper has shown reliable knowledge

Highly knowledgeable and experienced breeders sell their eggs for roughly $.50 each plus shipping.

Since this is your first experience and your axis first laying... I would offer the whole clutch for about $30 including shipping. You don't know if they are viable yet, or will even hatch or have problems.

You wouldn't want to get a bad reputation or anything for selling unviable eggs. Maybe wait a day or so and see if they start to develop before you sell or ship them to someone.

Just my thoughts. :-)

**If you like what I have to say, increase my rep!**
Wysper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2016   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:

So I just found out that the parents might be siblings.

Is it more ethical for me to cull the eggs before they can feel it, or to give these inbred babies a chance at life?

Tags
axolotl, axolotl advice, axolotl breeding, breeding, eggs

LinkBack