The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

New to Axolotl: Rearing young?

This is a discussion on New to Axolotl: Rearing young? within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hello! I'm new to the forums- but I've been here often in the past reading & researching. I've been looking ...

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd January 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: SmallishFae is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New to Axolotl: Rearing young?

Hello!

I'm new to the forums- but I've been here often in the past reading & researching.

I've been looking into raising Axolotl for nearly a year now, and I feel like I'm ready to get going and raise a few! I'm thinking about buying a group of 20-30 eggs and raising them up- I'll keep one myself, and I have a wonderful mum & pop pet store who're interested in buying the rest. I don't have the eggs yet, I want to make sure I have everything I need first, and wanted to get some advice from you folks. So, my questions are as follows:

1) I plan on hatching the eggs in a 10 gallon aquarium heated to about 70F. Will I need to separate the larva into separate containers as they grow, or will they all be fine in the 10 up to sale size (3-4 inches?)/adulthood because there aren't many?

2) to those of you that sell young: what size do you sell at?

3) I plan on starting a red wiggler earthworm colony- will that be suitable as a main food source for my big juveniles and adults? Or will they need additional foods to be healthy?

4) will self raised daphnia be a suitable food source for newly hatched babies & bigger larva until they are large enough for a 3-4 inch worm? Red wigglers max out at 4 inches.

5) will a well established 20 gallon tank decorated as such be a good home for a pair of Axolotl? Lightly planted with jungle vallisneria, fine black sand on the bottom, a hollowed out piece of driftwood about 5-6 wide for a hide, a fluval 206 canister Filter with a sponge over the intake and spray bar over the output, and a finnex Ray LED light (3 watts per gallon- using it to keep my plants growing quickly and healthily). Do I need to add anything or change anything?

Any suggestions for a ''new mother" trying to hatch eggs for the first time? Thank you for taking the time to read- I appreciate and advice! These critters are so fascinating, and I'm really looking forward to raising them!

SmallishFae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2017   #2 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: auntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: New to Axolotl: Rearing young?

If you've never had axies before I suggest getting 1 or 2 juveniles first - eggs are hard work and you really need some experience before you get any.

Tags
beginner, eggs, husbandry, questions, tank setup

LinkBack