The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store Donate

Misinformed father neglecting my axies

This is a discussion on Misinformed father neglecting my axies within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Alright, here's the story. I have two axies in a cramped tank that was supposed to be temporary, but my ...

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By auntiejude
  • 1 Post By onyx2011
  • 3 Post By Purpletotodile
  • 1 Post By Holly12

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th January 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Purpletotodile has shown reliable knowledge
Default Misinformed father neglecting my axies

Alright, here's the story. I have two axies in a cramped tank that was supposed to be temporary, but my dad is refusing to upgrade.
I have a 16 gallon and I wish to go up to a 45 gallon or so, but my dad is so stubborn. He is one of those people who think they will stay tiny forever, i.e. "They only grow to their tank". I try to explain to him that no, that isn't true, but he still believes everything the store tells him.

So, how do I get it into his head that he's being a complete moron?

Another quick issue: He refuses to get a new filter cartridge. It's supposed to be replaced monthly, but he says "That's how the companies get you to buy things, it's good for 3 months". He even turned it on before a vacation, causing dirty water to go into their tank causing unnecessary stress for my axies.

My axolotls are little demons
Purpletotodile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2017   #2 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: auntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Misinformed father neglecting my axies

He's right about the filter cartridge - when you replace it you lose all the good bacteria.

But axies are amphibians, not fish, and they will grow according to what their genes tell them to. 16gal is not big enough for one adult, let alone 2. the minimum tank size for 2 is 30 gal, but a 45 is better.

Try showing him the info on axolotl.org - considered to be the best resource on the net.
Old 11th January 2017   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: onyx2011 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just stand your ground and slowly show him more and more information. Also, try to find a free fish tank in your area(most people won't fight free!). You can usually find a free tank if you look hard enough, be it Craigslist or some cousin's friend's aunt's husband's boss's attic. Just ask around! Fish tanks are really common for people to have lying around in storage because it's a hobby that is 1) expensive and 2) easy to give up on. People will not want to throw away said equipment, but seeing a friend take it to use it instead of it continuing to take up space would be better. 10 gallons and 55 gallons are the most common tanks purchased, so you might be able to find a bigger upgrade than originally planned! Another tactic I occasionally use is go on errands with parents, and suggest going into a pawn shop or second hand store. Fish tanks can be found there cheap, but they're usually snatched up really quickly! The only problem with the pawn shop tactic is that you can't ask about the tank history.

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk
onyx2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2017   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Purpletotodile has shown reliable knowledge
Talking Good news!

So, I found out my favorite aquarium store sells used tanks for dirt cheap! I told him your suggestions, and he's open to the idea once I finish remodeling my room (he doesn't like multitasking). There is a 55 gal. I'm looking at for 30 dollars not including a hood or stand. I can easily get a hood so that's set. I have experience in woodworking, and my family is full of carpenters. So as long as I build a working stand that will support the weight of the tank, I'm allowed to purchase it. Thanks for helping me with this!
Attached Thumbnails
Misinformed father neglecting my axies-maxresdefault.jpg  

My axolotls are little demons
Purpletotodile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2017   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Holly12 has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Good news!

I never change my filter media unless it's falling apart.... I only rinse it in dirty water change water. You get rid of the cycle bacteria when you change it.

As for the tank size. He's completely wrong and it's animal cruelty. When people "stunt" fish, their body stops growing but their organs keep growing and they die a very painful death. Axies are going to get big, regardless of the tank size. I have an 8.5 inch axie in a 20 gallon long and I can't imagine 2 in a 16.
Old 14th January 2017   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Blackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and information

Can you involve dad in a positive way as it sounds like he's having a finger wagged at him after all he could always say you can't keep them. Maybe you could get him his very own lotl and you could learn and grow together.
Blackbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2017   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Nina Willis is an unknown quantity at this point

Try a sponge filter. All you have to do with them is rinse, so there is no expensive cartrages to buy and replace.
Nina Willis is offline   Reply With Quote