The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Juvenile axolotl with no appetite

This is a discussion on Juvenile axolotl with no appetite within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; I have a 2/2.5 inch juvenile GFP leucistic axolotl(Pastel) that I have had for the past two weeks. With him, ...

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd February 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: EbonyAXIEPastel is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Juvenile axolotl with no appetite

I have a 2/2.5 inch juvenile GFP leucistic axolotl(Pastel) that I have had for the past two weeks. With him, came my black melanoid(Ebony) who was a tad bit smaller than pastel. Over the past couple of weeks, I have noticed that Ebony will eat anything and everything I give her, and will let me know when she is full. As for Pastel, in the first week or so, she was eating just as well as Ebony. Ebony has now widely surpassed Pastel in length, whereas Pastel hasn't budged.

Just this past weekend, it seems as though Pastel has lost any appetite. I have offered him a variety of foods which include frozen blood worms, cut up krill, and brine shrimp. He will put his nose up to the top of the water at feeding time, and basically sit there while I wiggle the food around in front of his nose. At first, he will seem rather interested in eating, but then he will duck his head down and swim away. Every day I have gotten Pastel to eat a couple bits of brine shrimp, but for the past two days, I haven't gotten him to eat anything. Every couple of hours I try again to feed him, and the same thing will happen.

I can tell he is hungry, but I have no idea what to try anymore. If anyone has advise on my situation, I would love some input on what to do.

Other than the eating issue, he seems to be a happy, energetic little guy.

Attached below are a few of photos of my handsome babe!
Attached Thumbnails
Juvenile axolotl with no appetite-16831860_10202761426193576_6727288899287440892_n.jpg   Juvenile axolotl with no appetite-16832094_10202761426313579_2275062548819675993_n.jpg   Juvenile axolotl with no appetite-16864331_10202761426233577_6996066674447959207_n.jpg  

EbonyAXIEPastel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2017   #2 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Cloppy has started on the right path
Default Re: Juvenile axolotl with no appetite

try offering a chopped up or small live earthworm or nightcrawler. They normally love small live worms.

Cloppy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
appetite, axolotl, baby, eating, gfp, juvenile, juvie, leucistic, problem, questions

LinkBack