The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Number of axolotls for 40 Gallon tank

This is a discussion on Number of axolotls for 40 Gallon tank within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hey, everyone, I have a 40-gallon tank that is 12"(w)x30"(L)x19"(h) and I was wondering how many axolotls I could potently ...

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th June 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: DragonsMamma is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Number of axolotls for 40 Gallon tank

Hey, everyone, I have a 40-gallon tank that is 12"(w)x30"(L)x19"(h) and I was wondering how many axolotls I could potently keep in the tank. I have two younglings about 4"-5" in length right now. I do want to get more axolotls in the future. right now my babies are in a 10gal I will be moving them up by the end of the month I am just waiting on some supplies that have yet to come in the mail.
DragonsMamma

DragonsMamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2017   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Axolottie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Number of axolotls for 40 Gallon tank

Hello!
A normal rule to go by is 10 gallon per axie, but most people prefer 20 gallon per axie since some are very active and it gives them more room to get away from each other so potentially you could have 3 or 4 axies, just depends on what you feel most comfortable with, but no more than 4.

Axolottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2017   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: cedwards9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Number of axolotls for 40 Gallon tank

Axolottie is correct; as adults there should be absolutely no more than 4 in a 40 gallon. If you plan on upgrading again in the relatively near future, you could probably do five or six juveniles; it really depends on their size. I personally don't put more than 2 in a 40, but I also have about two dozen tanks ready to roll at any given time. Just like any creature, the more room axolotl have to move around, the happier they're going to be. More room to hide, and space they can make their own is important. As an example, I've got a 115 gallon tank in my living room, and that's where I keep my personal pet axolotls, Calliope and Cassiopeia. They seem to be significantly happier than their brothers and sisters in the 40s.

Personally, I would recommend getting more tanks if getting more axolotls. They aren't too expensive if you pay attention to garage sales and facebook buy/sell/trade groups. Most of my 40s with full setup and cabinets were less than 50 apiece. Some were free.

cedwards9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axolotls, question, tank advice

LinkBack