The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Growth chart? Feed what, when? New and nervous!

This is a discussion on Growth chart? Feed what, when? New and nervous! within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hey new friends! Am I missing where a generalized growth chart may be located? I know everyone grows different and ...

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1 Week Ago   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: IHeartCapnHook is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Growth chart? Feed what, when? New and nervous!

Hey new friends!
Am I missing where a generalized growth chart may be located? I know everyone grows different and develops different, so obviously not a black and white age=blah.

When do we start getting front and back legs?
When do we get lungs?
When do we get to start the big kid foods and pellets?
When is it time to move from little containers to a tank?
When can you tell if we are melanoid?
When do we settle into our final colours?

16 days ago, I picked up a bakers dozen newly hatched babes. I was told they were about a week old at that time. So, 7+16=23ish days old.

Where am I developmentally at 3 weeks old?

When do I get to stop with the baby food BBS and Daphnia and move to the big kids table... (guessing next step) the live blackworms? And do they get a whole one because they look like they would choke to death on those things!

When do we transition to the adult table and have earthworms? And what about pellets?

Can you guess what kind of colour they are at 3 weeks? My albino sure aren't white, they are somewhere between clear and the colour of corn on the cob.

they have clear gills how in the WORLD can I tell if they are stressed gills or fuzzy because they are growing in their whispy things or they have fuzz on them or they are stressed? Hello, invisible!!! I even try to zoom in with my camera to get a closer look and it is all Greek to me.

I mean, I have to say after years of wanting one, I am hooked. I am a sucker. The other half said they were ugly and couldn't believe I was finally going to buy one. And you will never guess who is watching after I feed each bin of babies!! Total hook, line and sunk!

If you have managed to get this far reading, hey, thanks for following along! New things are scary sometimes and you always want to do things "perfect." I just can't seem to track down all the answers.
Thanks!!!!

IHeartCapnHook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: IHeartCapnHook is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Growth chart? Feed what, when? New and nervous!

Oh... AND....

blackworms....

How do I feed them blackworms? Do I give them whole? They look like a total choking hazard!

How many do they eat in a day?

IHeartCapnHook is online now   Reply With Quote

LinkBack