The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Fan for axolotl tank

This is a discussion on Fan for axolotl tank within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Does anyone have any suggestions for a good fan for an axolotl tank? I was planning on using light diffuser ...

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Felixtacat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th August 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Evan02110211 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fan for axolotl tank

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good fan for an axolotl tank? I was planning on using light diffuser as a lid to help with air exchange, so the fan could sit on that. I have a 10 gallon tank and the average temperature in my house in the summer is between 73-77 degrees.

Evan02110211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2017   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Canecorsonewt has shown reliable knowledgeCanecorsonewt has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Fan for axolotl tank

I use a usb arctic fan on my 10 gallon. it runs 24-7 for about 4 or 5 months now, its a good fan. Dont buy a cheep usb fan. I did it lasted me 24 hours.
Attached Thumbnails
Fan for axolotl tank-1502881569054-1606584346.jpg   Fan for axolotl tank-1502881620759-1786996480.jpg  

Canecorsonewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2017   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Canecorsonewt has shown reliable knowledgeCanecorsonewt has shown reliable knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canecorsonewt View Post
I use a usb arctic fan on my 10 gallon. it runs 24-7 for about 3 months. Dont buy a cheep usb fan. I did it lasted 24 hours.
I paid $2 for the one from China that lasted 24 hours. The Arctic fan was around $15 if it breaks i will get another one. My fan drops tank water temp 3 to 4 degrees.

Canecorsonewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2017   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canecorsonewt View Post
I paid $2 for the one from China that lasted 24 hours. The Arctic fan was around $15 if it breaks i will get another one. My fan drops tank water temp 3 to 4 degrees.

How do you attach it electronically? And if I ran two would the water go down 7-8 degrees?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 18th August 2017   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Felixtacat has shown reliable knowledge

If there's one thing I know nothing about, it electronics, lol. But I'm assuming for the USB fan you'd just get one of these to make it longer so it could reach a wall socket

Click the image to open in full size.

And then just plug it into one of these. If you've got an iPhone or most smartphones really you've probably got one laying around.
This one has 2 ports so you could even plug two into it at once and only use up one wall socket.

I just use a regular old fan though if you don't wanna do all that. How much it will cool depends a lot on how humid the room is. Less humidity means more cooling effect. Back when I had only one small tank in the living room a single fan cooled my tank by almost 10 whole degrees, but since moving my tanks into my room and upgrading to much larger tanks my room is super humid and fans only cool it down by a couple degrees now.

Felixtacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2017   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felixtacat View Post
If there's one thing I know nothing about, it electronics, lol. But I'm assuming for the USB fan you'd just get one of these to make it longer so it could reach a wall socket

And then just plug it into one of these. If you've got an iPhone or most smartphones really you've probably got one laying around.
This one has 2 ports so you could even plug two into it at once and only use up one wall socket.

I just use a regular old fan though if you don't wanna do all that. How much it will cool depends a lot on how humid the room is. Less humidity means more cooling effect. Back when I had only one small tank in the living room a single fan cooled my tank by almost 10 whole degrees, but since moving my tanks into my room and upgrading to much larger tanks my room is super humid and fans only cool it down by a couple degrees now.

Thank you so much for your help! I was wondering if this would work if I drilled it into the wall and pointed it down towards the 10 gallon...Click the image to open in full size.

Old 18th August 2017   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Felixtacat has shown reliable knowledge

Yup, I don't see any reason why that wouldn't work. Here's a pic of a fan on top of some eggcrate on my tank

Felixtacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2017   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: IHeartCapnHook is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felixtacat View Post
Yup, I don't see any reason why that wouldn't work. Here's a pic of a fan on top of some eggcrate on my tank
Where did you buy the egg crate? That is such a good idea!

IHeartCapnHook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2017   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: IHeartCapnHook is an unknown quantity at this point

I went to Walmart and for $5.00 I got this fan. You can change the base (clip-on/stand). It has a slow and fast speed which is a bonus!!!

I have a 45 gal breeder tank in Texas. I aim the fan the long way across the tank's surface water. I have not had my water go above 62' all summer long.
Attached Thumbnails
Fan for axolotl tank-20170914_103347.png   Fan for axolotl tank-20170914_103523.jpg  

IHeartCapnHook is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack