The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

I need help with isolation!

This is a discussion on I need help with isolation! within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hi everyone, Yesterday my axolotl had his leg completely degloved. He couldnt stop floating. So I immediately put him in ...

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th September 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: fishfinger is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy I need help with isolation!

Hi everyone,
Yesterday my axolotl had his leg completely degloved. He couldnt stop floating. So I immediately put him in an isolated container and I need some advice moving forward. I know this topic has been covered so this is mainly about the tank setup.
I syphoned water into the container from my main setup, on which I had water changed the day before and has good parameters. I have no filter on the isolation chamber so I need to clean every day; is it okay to use tap water with neutraliser (as obviously this has no chance to cycle beforehand)?
I am also keeping ice packs in the water to keep the temp cool to try and avoid fingus (ambient temp gets up to 22C lately), but the tap water will be around ambient when I change it.

Moving forward, colonel mustard and strawberry jam obviously bully james monroe. I dont know if its a phase as I dont know the ages. I think I was under feeding so I will switch to a daily routine from every 2 days, and switch from frozen blood worms to live earthies. However I am hesitant to return JM to the main setup. What do you think.

Sorry for the long post. I've looked for information but need specifics. JM is very distressed and not eating and I can see his arm bone, and he still keeps floating. I am also distressed.

Edited for spelling and clarity.

fishfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2017   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11
Default Re: I need help with isolation!

Keep him separate in clean water and hope he heals.

Here are helpful articles on Health,
Treating wounds, and other medical issues.
Scroll down to "Health and Illness."

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/articles.shtml

Also you can start here and explore:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2017   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: fishfinger is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I need help with isolation!

Thanks for your response. I have looked at a few articles and will continue to do so. I think now I was under feeding them, he is quite skinny. Hopefully he survives.

fishfinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arm, attack, isolation, water

LinkBack