The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Dangerously High Nitrites!

This is a discussion on Dangerously High Nitrites! within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hi everyone, The nitrite levels in my tank have skyrocketed in the last week. They are at least 5 ppm. ...

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: mermaid is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dangerously High Nitrites!

Hi everyone,

The nitrite levels in my tank have skyrocketed in the last week. They are at least 5 ppm. My nitrates have been slightly up as well. I've been doing daily 50% water changes since that water test, but it hasn't been helping the tiniest bit. As of today I have removed my axolotl (he's about 5 inches) and have him in a Tupperware of dechlorinated water, spot cleaning throughout the day and doing 100% water changes daily, making sure he stays at an ok temp (~67f). My tank is bare-bottom with a fake plant, a cave, a low flow filter, a little bubbler, and just the other day I added some java moss to hopefully help with this nitrite problem.

A few days after testing and realizing the nitrite was high, I did something that I think now was very stupid: I changed the filter sponge. I am now kicking myself for doing this because if I'm correct I just rid myself of any good bacteria. Is this the case? My other question is, how do I get the nitrite levels down as soon as possible? Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Until then, should I just keep my axie out of the tank with fresh dechlorinated water?

Here is everything else I tested for: Ph 7.4-7.6, ammonia 0 ppm, nitrites 5 ppm or more, nitrates 5 ppm.

Thank you!

mermaid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
high nitrite, nitrite

LinkBack