The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Food for very young axolotls

This is a discussion on Food for very young axolotls within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Besides brine shrimp and various live foods, are there other options for feeding a 2-3 cm long baby axie? I've ...

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th March 2005   #1 (permalink)
miriam

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Besides brine shrimp and various live foods, are there other options for feeding a 2-3 cm long baby axie? I've read about using pellets, but I'm not sure if he's old enough for those. The brine shrimp (either frozen or fresh) end up making a mess and clouding the water very quickly, and some easier options (like pellets) would be nice to use sometimes.

(Message edited by zygomorph on March 27, 2005)

Old 28th March 2005   #2 (permalink)
claire

Gallery Images:
Comments:

i think they have to have their front legs grown fully and be around 1 1/2 inches long or something before they will accept non-living food. if im wrong im sure someone will correct me.

visit http://www.axolotl.org on the rearing section and it tells you there what food axie babies can have at certain stages.

good luck with your babies Click the image to open in full size.

Old 30th March 2005   #3 (permalink)
miriam

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I have been reading axolotl.org, I'm just looking for some other ideas since I've had a hard time keeping up with hatching new brine shrimp every 24 hours and I don't want him to be hungry (and I dont want the tank to get dirty so quickly).

At the rate he's growing, though, he should be 1.5 inches soon--he's had front legs for a while, though I'm not sure if they're fully grown or not.

Old 31st March 2005   #4 (permalink)
claire

Gallery Images:
Comments:

my axie babies are growing really slowly 2.i think this is because they are at a low temp...around 16C or so. you could feed daphnia.these can be put in the water with the axies and they will just stay there til they are eaten. i think they are really good food for the babies because they are cheap and you dont spend loads of time hatching them!

good luck!

Tags
axolotls, food, young

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 7 (Set)

Azhael, crazycandigirl, Gavin Hunter, iggiethegecko, katie11122, leiafee, xscarymsmaryx
LinkBack