The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

The "BEST" food for axies

This is a discussion on The "BEST" food for axies within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Ken - you can get earthworms outdoors or at any bait shop. Or, if you are in North America, most ...

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th March 2005   #21 (permalink)
jennifer

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Ken - you can get earthworms outdoors or at any bait shop. Or, if you are in North America, most Walmart stores (fishing department). Chopped earthworms are usually the best thing to entice them to eat. Frozen bloodworms from a pet shop are another easily-accessible option.

Is the small one getting bullied? Sometimes they will not eat if they are intimidated by a tankmate. Separation to another tank may help.

(Message edited by jennewt on March 04, 2005)

Old 4th March 2005   #22 (permalink)
declan

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I agree with the earthworm,
But have you looked into why he/she might be off its food, Is it new, stressed, much smaller the the other?

Old 5th March 2005   #23 (permalink)
brendan

Gallery Images:
Comments:

This is going to sound gross but oh well.

With the meal worms u can, cut the head off. Squeeze the guts outta the worm and find some method of feeding the guts to the axies (as this is what they get outta the worm anyway)

Maybe try taking 4 meal worms and putting all their guts together and freeze it or something

I dunno just an idea.

Old 5th March 2005   #24 (permalink)
jarred

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I don't think it would be worth it, and if you did that it wouldn't even be live food.

Old 5th March 2005   #25 (permalink)
brendan

Gallery Images:
Comments:

yeah i know it wouldnt be live but it would still be giving them what they get from them.

I know the topic within this thread now is about live food but i was just wanting to make a suggestion as to a method of feeding axies meal worms on a regulkar basis without them in their shells.

:s

Old 16th March 2005   #26 (permalink)
ken

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Kia ora

Thanks for all your help! The internet's pretty amazing. Thankfully the mealworms did the trick, though you were spot on about the axo - he is alot smaller and more timid, so maybe that was part of the problem. They have left the museum now for a new home, so that's great and hopefully they live long and prosper.
Again thanks for your thoughts.
Cheers,

Ken
(Canterbury museum, NZ)Click the image to open in full size.

Old 24th March 2005   #27 (permalink)
paul

Gallery Images:
Comments:

earthworms? like can i just get them from my garden or should i by them, do you just cut them up so they are small in size?

Old 24th March 2005   #28 (permalink)
sharn

Gallery Images:
Comments:

i get mine out of the compost. just make sure if your getting them out of the garden you havent used any chemicals around there, i dont chop mine up, but they are quite small anyway, just whatever you think they could swallow comfortably. mine love to shake their heads around and battle with the worms, very cute to watch

Old 24th March 2005   #29 (permalink)
paul

Gallery Images:
Comments:

kewl, but my earthworms can get up to 4" long

Old 25th March 2005   #30 (permalink)
paul

Gallery Images:
Comments:

i got some e/worms from my garden and fed them to the little fella and he went mental. i get the impression that they like these worms. how often can i feed him an earthworm

Old 25th March 2005   #31 (permalink)
cynthia

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Paul - Earth worms are a good staple. You can feed them as often as you want.

My axolotls main diet consists of earth worms and soft salmon pellets.

Old 29th March 2005   #32 (permalink)
tracy

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Try some cockabullies from the river,or even some water boatmen.Catch alot, pour them in and your axolotl wo,nt know what to eat first !Click the image to open in full size.-magic

Old 30th March 2005   #33 (permalink)
sharn

Gallery Images:
Comments:

ive been told that thats a bad idea. things caught from other places can carry diseases that will get into your axie, yikes! you can buy them or you could breed them if you wanted to feed them lots on boatmen etc

Old 30th March 2005   #34 (permalink)
jarred

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Yeah, I wouldn't like to feed my axolotl food I'd caught from a stream. They could and probably are infected with all sorts of parasites and bacteria.

Tags
"best", axies, food

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 5 (Set)

ellenant, Ellie2, onyx2011, sammarshall27, Sirocco
LinkBack