The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Food

This is a discussion on Food within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; I think that if you are interested in feeding feeder fish to your axolotls you just have to go about ...

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th March 2005   #21 (permalink)
sarah

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I think that if you are interested in feeding feeder fish to your axolotls you just have to go about it the right way. Not as a staple, but a few times a week or a small fish a day with their other foods, would probably be best. I have several tanks that contain different things, such as feeder fish, tropical fish, axolotls, etc. My husband and I also have a "hospital" tank in which we treat sick fish when the need arises. Mostly it is used for quarantining new additions to our collection, such as newly purchased feeder fish. Once they have completed about 2 weeks of treatment in the "hospital", they are ready to join their brethren before being sacrificed to Xolotl. Our axolotls are not good hunters. When we feed them fish, we just hold them by their tail fins and lead them to their doom. We use Rosey Reds, a type of minnow. They cost roughly the same as guppies (depending on where you buy them), but are more suitably sized for adult axolotls (in my opinion). I can't imagine trying to hang on to a guppy, they seem a bit small. I would recommend buying your starting feeder fish from a pet store rather than a bait shop, as pet store fish probably have less of a chance of having parasites/diseases than bait shops. And if your feeders happen to breed and spawn, yippee, less to buy! Rosey Reds are sometimes grouped near, or mis-labeled as, goldfish. Also, they are a cold water fish, not tropical, so I feel like they are closer to something a wild axolotl would or would have consumed. We basically try to mimic the same types of food sources for our axolotls that they would come across in their natural habitat, or what's left of it.

Old 10th March 2005   #22 (permalink)
brian

Gallery Images:
Comments:

As I've said before, rosy's are also very disease resistant, so there is considerably less chance that something will be passed to the animal eating them

Old 11th March 2005   #23 (permalink)
lisa

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Just wondering if anyone has an opinion on insects? I caught a fly sitting on Bobs tank earlier in the week and began pondering. I know she would have fun gulping it from the surface of the water, but is their any nutritional value to a fly, or a cockroach etc?

Old 11th March 2005   #24 (permalink)
brian

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Cockroaches are used as reptile food by some people, but I don't recomend them. For the simple reason that, if one escapes, they have this strange habit of multiplying to plague-like proportions in very short order. They are pretty nutritious, though, but a well gut-loaded cricket is just as good.

I've let houseflys into Chameleon cages before, and they ate them with no problems (and damn fun to watch). Not sure about their nutritional value, though.

Old 16th March 2005   #25 (permalink)
peter

Gallery Images:
Comments:

does anyone know if there is any harm in feeding ax's strips of boneless fish fillets.
i have fed mine fish strip on and off for about 2 weeks now and they seem to love it.

peter

Old 16th March 2005   #26 (permalink)
cynthia

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Peter - Thanks to my bothers I have a lot of salmon and steelhead trout fillets in the freezer.
So my axolotls enjoy a slice of fish from time to time as well.

I am not sure how frequently they should have it. I limit mine to once or twice a month.

Tags
food

(View-All Members who have read this thread since 24th November 2017, 05:41 (Set) (Clear)

There are no names to display.
LinkBack