The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store Donate

Very strange Axolotl color morph...

This is a discussion on Very strange Axolotl color morph... within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Quite the axolotl you've got there Jacob. Im impressed, he or she is very interesting....

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Like Tree51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th April 2008   #81 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 7
Comments: 30
Rep: i_love_necturus has given good advice and informationi_love_necturus has given good advice and informationi_love_necturus has given good advice and information

Quite the axolotl you've got there Jacob. Im impressed, he or she is very interesting.
Old 12th April 2008   #82 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 3
Rep: oceanblue goes to 11oceanblue goes to 11oceanblue goes to 11oceanblue goes to 11oceanblue goes to 11oceanblue goes to 11oceanblue goes to 11oceanblue goes to 11oceanblue goes to 11oceanblue goes to 11oceanblue goes to 11

This remains a very unusual almost reverse leucistic pigment pattern (the legs are dark, the upper surface less pigmented). The nearest similar pattern in fish I have seen is the "Bristol Blue" Shubunkin variety of goldfish which does not breed true but produces some offspring which show a similar pattern. Good luck with the back cross.

Putting on my adopted Welsh hat all the Gareths I know are definitely male. How about a more drastic name change? Anne Bonny was a female pirate so why not Pirate Bonny?
oceanblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2008   #83 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Yarrrr!

*filler to meet minimum message size!*
Old 13th April 2008   #84 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 10
Rep: Jake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanblue View Post
Putting on my adopted Welsh hat all the Gareths I know are definitely male. How about a more drastic name change? Anne Bonny was a female pirate so why not Pirate Bonny?
'Pirate Gareth' is the name I chose because I had a teacher (female) in school whose first name was Gareth, she was Russian though, and Gareth was the closest female name I could get to 'Gary'.
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2008   #85 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 3
Rep: oceanblue goes to 11oceanblue goes to 11oceanblue goes to 11oceanblue goes to 11oceanblue goes to 11oceanblue goes to 11oceanblue goes to 11oceanblue goes to 11oceanblue goes to 11oceanblue goes to 11oceanblue goes to 11

That sounds reasonable and logical. I wasn't aware of the Russian female version of the name!
oceanblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2008   #86 (permalink)
Banned

Nationality:
Comments: 4
Rep: Michael2266 has started on the right path
Default Re: Very strange color morph...

So The Axolotl is all three! Doe it glow in the dark too!
Michael2266 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2008   #87 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Jake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael2266 View Post
So The Axolotl is all three! Doe it glow in the dark too!
No, but next year some of it's offspring hopefully will glow in uv light.
Old 20th June 2008   #88 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: sherylbobbins has given good advice and informationsherylbobbins has given good advice and informationsherylbobbins has given good advice and information
Talking Re: Very strange color morph...

I have fallen in love with that axolotl. She's beautiful, Jake
sherylbobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2008   #89 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Thanks Sherylbobbins. I've fallen in love with her too, some wouldn't agree that she's beautiful though, she's been compared to an old piece of cheese.
Old 26th June 2008   #90 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: sherylbobbins has given good advice and informationsherylbobbins has given good advice and informationsherylbobbins has given good advice and information

Oh well, at least she's a very nice looking 'old piece of cheese' lol
sherylbobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2008   #91 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: GeishaExotics is an unknown quantity at this point

Any updates on this one? I probably missed it somewhere else, since I just joined here, but am curious to see some future offspring! Selling any? Keep me in mind, Im always looking to work with new projects! =)
GeishaExotics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2008   #92 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeishaExotics View Post
Any updates on this one? I probably missed it somewhere else, since I just joined here, but am curious to see some future offspring! Selling any? Keep me in mind, Im always looking to work with new projects! =)
Pirate is alive and well. I might post some new pics soon, but there really hasn't been much change other than size. I havent bred this one yet, but certainly plan to do so. All of the offspring produced I plan to hoard by the hundreds, or maybe sell as normal axolotls, just to be sneaky. I highly doubt that this is a genetic trait, as previously discussed it is more than likely a random phenomenon that I have no control over. I must say though, you definitely aren't the first to ask for offspring from this one
Old 3rd October 2008   #93 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: azuregirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Very strange Axolotl color morph...

wow he/she looks way cool. must see if my two breed and if i get any strange ones like that!

Pirate Gary, aharrr. Me liking the sound of that. Where be me rum? A toast, a toast to Pirate Gary a strange fellow to be sure, ahharr.

(sorry I dont get out much!!)
azuregirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2008   #94 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: axie girl is an unknown quantity at this point

He is defenetly awsum about how big is he in centimetres i would love to have one like him.
axie girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2008   #95 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Tim S has started on the right path

I don't think Gary is a pirate. He is more of an X-men (mutant) or should I say X-olotl
Tim S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2008   #96 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by axie girl View Post
He is defenetly awsum about how big is he in centimetres i would love to have one like him.
He is about 21 centimeters now.
Old 7th October 2008   #97 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: salamandra has shown reliable knowledge

You should try and breed you axolotls into that colour as then you have maid your OWN axolotl morph

and could make a nice profit as well as having the fun of it
salamandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2008   #98 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by salamandra View Post

and could make a nice profit as well as having the fun of it
Having fun IS the profit.

I occasionally sell extra animals, but if you saw my feed bills for the month you'd see why it would be next to impossible for me to turn a profit off selling salamanders.

Also, I think if another one (or hundred) of this color morph were to be created in my basement I'd hold on to it as well
Old 8th October 2008   #99 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Tim S has started on the right path

What has become of Gary's albino sibling from the second spawning? Did this animal show any mottling, even a small spots of pigment?

The fact that Gary's mother produced a single albino offspring should tell us something. What if there is a gene or combination of genes that causes an increase incidence of nondisjuction during mitosis? If this were the case, your animal(s) would be invaluable to science. Alot of what we learn about the inner working of the cell comes from comparing what is normal to that which is abnormal.
Tim S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2008   #100 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 5
Rep: cherryscented is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 'Pirate Gary' Update...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
I have her father in my posession and plan do a father/daughter mating in a few more months after she's put on a bit more size
lol sorry it just sounds wrong
cherryscented is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axolotl, color, harlequin, morph, piebald, pied, strange

(View-All Members who have read this thread since 20th March 2017, 14:43 (Set) (Clear)

chencho136, Karayna, Lillmizztiny, RusieckiR