The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Ph paper

This is a discussion on Ph paper within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; I can't afford a Ph testing kit. Are those pH paper things just as accurate? if so tell me where ...

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th March 2007   #1 (permalink)
aaron

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I can't afford a Ph testing kit. Are those pH paper things just as accurate? if so tell me where to buy them please Click the image to open in full size.

Old 19th March 2007   #2 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: kapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Aaron, when you're cycling tank the more important ones you need to buy are for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. if you can't afford all 3, then just the ammonia kit will do for the moment. (they're $15 here in NZ) Make sure you do cycle your tank b4 getting an axie.

If the price of even one of those test kits is too much as well, as long as you can get samples of tankwater tested regularly at your local petshop. You have to make sure they give you the figures for each one tested (rather than them saying its fine/normal or too high - that doesn't help you much while its cycling) and keep a record of it in a notebook for your tank.

FYI, if you/your parents were to buy a few test kit s for your tank try and get a freshwater master test kit - the one we have tests ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, low pH and high pH - but it is expensive ($55-$75). You may even find it cheap online through ebay

Another thing, don't try and buy things like ammolock, cycle, pH up or down, nitrazorb - anything that the petshop suggests will fix your tank. If in doubt and you're really not sure pop into this website and someone will be able to advise you.

kapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2007   #3 (permalink)
aaron

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Does that mean i can't buy those speed up cycle things?

by the way , i just bought a water ager this afternoon , and it says that it can cure diseases and give a protective coating for fishes. Will this affect my axie (when i buy one)

Old 19th March 2007   #4 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: kapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Yes you will just waste your money! You'd be better of buying ammonia and/or nitrite. Have you read the cycling link I left on previous thread? And do yu know anyone with a healthy established fish or axie tank (one that's been running several months at least)?

What is the brand of water ager? As long as it removes chlorine and chloramines from tapwater. Some water conditioners/agers do give a protective coating for fish (check if its got aloe in it; what are the other ingredients?)\

Old 19th March 2007   #5 (permalink)
aaron

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Yes there is Aloe in it.

It says that it neutralizes heavy metals , removes chlorine and chloramine and also coats to protect and heal.

another thing. It says that it has a patented stress reducing formular calmed to be made from herbal extracts. It's called Aqua plus

Old 19th March 2007   #6 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

Most (not all) water conditioners have similar things - the important thing is that it removes chlorine and chloramine from tapwater.

you also have to be careful not to overdose (put too much into your water (just the required amount) as the aloe adds to your bioload. I used to use one with aloe but now just use the basic chlorine/chloramine remover one.

Tags
paper

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 0 (Set)

There are no names to display.
LinkBack