The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Feeding newly hatched Axolotls

This is a discussion on Feeding newly hatched Axolotls within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; How do I feed newly hatched Axolotls? And what should I feed them? Thanks....

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st October 2007   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: MrsFrog has started on the right path
Default Feeding newly hatched Axolotls

How do I feed newly hatched Axolotls? And what should I feed them? Thanks.

MrsFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2007   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 16
Comments: 12
Rep: digger is a mainstay of Caudata.orgdigger is a mainstay of Caudata.orgdigger is a mainstay of Caudata.orgdigger is a mainstay of Caudata.orgdigger is a mainstay of Caudata.orgdigger is a mainstay of Caudata.orgdigger is a mainstay of Caudata.org

live baby brine shrimp is what most people use, my self i use live daphnia as these live in fresh water and can therefore be left in with the larvae ,whereas the brine shrimp live in salt water and must be removed within a couple of hours as they will pollute the water.

digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2007   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: mary_kate has shown reliable knowledgemary_kate has shown reliable knowledge

Check out 'Eggs, Larvae and Breeding' for more specific information. Recently some useful replies were posted under 'Live food for newly hatched axolotls'. All the best - it's exhausting but rewarding work.

mary_kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2007   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 13
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11

I fed mine live brine shrimp, I had two hatcheries on the go starting each on alternate days and running full time for 5-6 weeks ,these needed to be rinsed under non chlorinated water for the feeds ( twice daily). I then tried live daphnia which are in my opinion far easier to use after I read that Digger prefered this method..if I ever decide to raise the larvae again I think I would use this . As soon as the Larvae were big enough they progressed to live blood worm, mosquito larvae from the garden and now at approx 12 weeks old mine are dining on sushi worm and at last tiny pellets. ( the pellets are just to broaden their taste buds in preperation for leaving home..I prefer to use live/ raw food)

bellabelloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2007   #5 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 15
Comments: 1
Rep: ianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.orgianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.orgianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.orgianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.orgianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.orgianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.orgianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.orgianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Hi another place to look is www.axolotl.org it too has all the information you will need

Good Luck

ianclick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2007   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:

Hey thanks for all your replies. I have some mosquito larvae but how on earth do I get the wee guys to eat...or will they just eventually go for the live food themselves?? I would hate for them to not eat and die on me.

Old 22nd October 2007   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

If the food is moving, and it's within reach, they will eat it. If they just hatched within the past couple of days, they may not be ready to start eating yet.

Old 22nd October 2007   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:

Aah okay, I was told that they were approx 3-4wks old, BUT they are only about 11mm long with no limbs...so I'm thinking they must be alot younger???

Old 22nd October 2007   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11

The size and age could be ok, in general my hoard are given their food and with in the hour its the quantity is much smaller , with the exception of the brine shrimp the live food is ok to be left with them...brine shrimp tends to start dying off in an hour or so after removal from the hatchery. At the moment I have seperated them into two groups in different tanks and they now hover at their feeding satations waiting to eat! At the size you mention I would feed them twice daily.

Old 22nd October 2007   #10 (permalink)

Nationality:

Thanks, I'm feeding twice daily, have yet to see one eat but overnight they 3 of them have all shifted places around the tank so I'm assuming they are doing good and were probably chasing food. Are Axies this small usually so still?

Old 22nd October 2007   #11 (permalink)

Nationality:

I think mine might have been..its such a long time ago!!. I certainly remembering them dart about when startled, or when i tried to clean them.

Old 23rd October 2007   #12 (permalink)

Nationality:

Yea they dart around alright lol. I moved them into a smaller container so that I can monitor the feeding a bit easier. How much mossie larvae do you recommend I put in at one time?

Old 23rd October 2007   #13 (permalink)

Nationality:

I would put in approx 1 per larvae...But....when you have a hoard of them its a case of putting in as much as I could catch!!..I figured the left overs ( rarely happened) would be ok for a little longer till eaten!!

Old 26th October 2007   #14 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: philbaker76 has given consistently good advice and informationphilbaker76 has given consistently good advice and informationphilbaker76 has given consistently good advice and informationphilbaker76 has given consistently good advice and information

Hi Carley, I prefer feeding my hatchlings Daphnia.

Also, a little controversial; but I use wild caught/wild cultured daphnia. It seems to live happily with the axolotls until it's eaten. Plus; I got a bacterial infection from the pet shop daphnia that killed all my hatchlings bar five.

philbaker76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2017   #15 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: PrincessAxolotl is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: Feeding newly hatched Axolotls

Is there a way i could buy live daphnia and just feed them to the babies without having to raise the daphina? Im just afraid because with my last batch of babies i went and bought everything to hatch bbs and failed at multiple attempts, The babies hatched far too soon, this was my first attempt, at raising axies, my friend gifted me the mature parents and before this i had never even seen one. I had nothing to feed them so i put an airstone in and just ground up dried blood worms, It worked for about three weeks, i came home yesterday and it was a masacre, i had around 30, now maybe 5, if that even.Well i woke up this morning to my female laying eggs. I was devestated about my last batch, and i dont think i have the heart to not try again, i was so excited. Im just afraid i'll fail at cultivating the daphnia and it'll be a tradgedy all over again. Sorry if this is in the wrong place, Im new to forums, this is the first i've joined and its purely because i've fallen in love with my axies and all the babies and i care for them deeply.
Attached Thumbnails
Feeding newly hatched Axolotls-screenshot_2017-06-26-21-35-13.jpg  

PrincessAxolotl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axolotls, feeding, hatched, newly

LinkBack