The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Axolotls and loud sounds

This is a discussion on Axolotls and loud sounds within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; I'm considering purchasing an axolotl or two (melanos), however yesterday a question came to mind. How resistant/tolerant are axolotls to ...

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th November 2007   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: JuanOteno has started on the right path
Default Axolotls and loud sounds

I'm considering purchasing an axolotl or two (melanos), however yesterday a question came to mind. How resistant/tolerant are axolotls to loud noise?

I'm asking because I play a decent ammount of music in my room with my speakers, and the music room is adjacent to mine, and the music that can come from there is pretty damn loud. Would they be okay or would it end up killing them?

JuanOteno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2007   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Comments: 1
Rep: Saspotato is a mainstay of Caudata.orgSaspotato is a mainstay of Caudata.orgSaspotato is a mainstay of Caudata.orgSaspotato is a mainstay of Caudata.orgSaspotato is a mainstay of Caudata.orgSaspotato is a mainstay of Caudata.orgSaspotato is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Hmm I am not sure. I know my axolotl gets stressed with some noises. He tends to hide if I have a party and when I first got him I used to play all my computer games loudly (the tank is right near my computer) and his tail would go curly... so now I use headphones. I think he disliked Bioshock the most

He seems to be ok with me watching videos on my computer... so it seems to be only certain noises (like ones with a lot of bass).

But yea I am not sure if that is normal or not. It might vary from axolotl to axolotl. Perhaps yours would get used to the noise?

Saspotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2007   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: JuanOteno has started on the right path

Well, I have music every night and every morning, at a resonnably loud volume (my iPod's hooked on computer speakers), and since it's the same volume for going to bed and getting up, I need it reasonnably loud so that it actually wakes me up). However, that's not really what worries me, in the room next to mine is a "music" room, with a drum set and that's where my dad goes when he wants to play loud, and by loud, we hear it all to way up the second floor quite clearly, when he's playing in a closed room in the basement. That's what worries me... sounds like something that would stress the Axolotl out, I'm not sure how much stress it would create...

JuanOteno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2007   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 10
Rep: Jake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Axolotls can feel all of the vibration from the bass of a speaker even though they're in the tank. It probably wouldn't be comforting for them to have loud music playing. Think of it like this, would you want to have someone using a jackhammer right outside of your window? That's probably how it feels to them. Mine can feel the vibrations of my feet when I walk toward the tank at night to feed them and they all swim to the surface waiting for pellets, so they're definitely sensitive to vibrations.

Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2007   #5 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 15
Rep: ianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.orgianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.orgianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.orgianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.orgianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.orgianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.orgianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.orgianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.org

I have done a series of tests with my axies to see what if any frequencies affect them. As Jacob says it is more low frequency sound that distresses them from about 315Hz down to 53Hz high frequency sound above 1.25kHz didn't seem to bother them.

Axies have a lateral line that is sensitive to vibrations so it is likely that they are more sensitive to low frequency sound due the nature of the sound waves rather than the specific volume.

ianclick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2007   #6 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: ianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.orgianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.orgianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.orgianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.orgianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.orgianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.orgianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.orgianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.org

I have the full results and test parameters available if you want them. The tests were conducted using a industry standard pink noise generator which can also be set for specific frequencies I tested for the normal range of human hearing 20Hz to 20kHz at 95dB sound source 3 meters from the tank.

Old 23rd November 2007   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: bukowsky has shown reliable knowledge

I'd be interested.

bukowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2007   #8 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

Hi Dietmar,

I'm in Australia at the moment, nice internet cafes in Perth. I will send them through when I get Back home next week.

Old 28th November 2007   #9 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 10
Rep: Jake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Hi Ian,
Could you send that to me too?

Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2008   #10 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 3
Rep: lazymut is an unknown quantity at this point

if you could get that to me i would be grateful :)

lazymut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axolotls, loud, sounds

LinkBack