The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Metamorphed Axy...

This is a discussion on Metamorphed Axy... within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; I have only read of this happening and this is the first time I see the process. It's really majestic ...

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Like Tree114Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th March 2015   #241 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Momo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Metamorphed Axy...

I have only read of this happening and this is the first time I see the process. It's really majestic because it is basically evolution in front of you... this animal can't be anymore like a pokemon lol but I have also heard as well that when they morph, they tend to be have more health issues. take care of him as I'm sure you are because he's really special

Old 7th April 2015   #242 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: stevenwignet has posted a lot of bad advice/info, or has repeatedly behaved in an unacceptable manner

if an axolotl morphs does it become poisonous?

Old 7th April 2015   #243 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: TheAxolotlMan is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenwignet View Post
if an axolotl morphs does it become poisonous?

From what Ive Read I don't think they are but, just don't lick any axolotls :/

Old 14th April 2015   #244 (permalink)
AG9

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: AG9 is an unknown quantity at this point

What a beautiful morph!

Old 30th January 2016   #245 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Severance is an unknown quantity at this point

That is such an amazing, clean looking morph o.o

Old 11th March 2016   #246 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Lhagan is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Metamorphed Axy...

I was just wondering how he is doing now? Very beautiful.

Old 11th March 2016   #247 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 141
Comments: 77
Rep: Sith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
How cruel. Why on earth would you do that? AXOLOTLS ARE NOT TIGER SALAMANDERS. Many experienced and knowledgeable people would debunk your 'theory', pointing out that unless the axolotl is born with a genetic predisposition to morph, it will be simply unable to do so, meaning that subjecting axolotls to unsuitable conditions in an effort to force them to morph will merely cause them extreme distress and usually kill them. Please reconsider this foolhardy idea.

Old post, I know, but the person didn't force the Axolotl to morph, it just did on its own. He may have accidentally done something that made it feel obliged to morph, but otherwise, the original poster didn't say anything about forcing it to morph

Old 11th March 2016   #248 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Comments: 7
Rep: xxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

The post you quoted was not to the OP it was to the post above hers
"I am going to run tests on some wild-morphs as soon as they get older. I have kept many tiger salamanders that metamorphosed when theyre water got very low, I have a theory that axolotls might be able to do the same."
She was correct in her response, the guys a Muppet.

Old 27th April 2016   #249 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: miniwaterdragon has shown reliable knowledge

wow, what an amazing morph. Love the markings.

Old 1st May 2016   #250 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: JenniferMorel is an unknown quantity at this point

How exactly did this happen?

Old 12th June 2016   #251 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Kochebi is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
Axolotls are salamanders, so there isn't a difference between axolotl morphs and salamander morphs. Axolotls are Mexican mole salamander larvae.
This isn't technically correct. Mole Salamander is a broad term used for all salamanders of the ambystoma genus, including A. mexicanum (the axolotl), A. tigrinum (the tiger salamander), and a few others. While axolotls are still technically salamanders they are neotenic and no longer exhibit metamorphosis like tiger salamanders for example. Their bodies have generally stopped producing the chemical that induces metamorphsis in salamanders and they therefore never metamorphosis unless under extreme circumstances. So yes, there's the huge difference in that most mole salamanders metamorphose as a part of their life cycle but the metamorphosis of an axolotl is extremely stressful and usually shortens the animal's lifespan dramatically... if it even makes it through the process.

Old 12th June 2016   #252 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Kochebi is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxianxx View Post
The post you quoted was not to the OP it was to the post above hers
"I am going to run tests on some wild-morphs as soon as they get older. I have kept many tiger salamanders that metamorphosed when theyre water got very low, I have a theory that axolotls might be able to do the same."
She was correct in her response, the guys a Muppet.
I just wanted to let you know your icon image is fantastic.

Old 12th June 2016   #253 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Oh no, someone is wrong on the Internet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kochebi View Post
This isn't technically correct. Mole Salamander is a broad term used for all salamanders of the ambystoma genus, including A. mexicanum (the axolotl), A. tigrinum (the tiger salamander), and a few others. While axolotls are still technically salamanders they are neotenic and no longer exhibit metamorphosis like tiger salamanders for example. Their bodies have generally stopped producing the chemical that induces metamorphsis in salamanders and they therefore never metamorphosis unless under extreme circumstances. So yes, there's the huge difference in that most mole salamanders metamorphose as a part of their life cycle but the metamorphosis of an axolotl is extremely stressful and usually shortens the animal's lifespan dramatically... if it even makes it through the process.
There's very little separating a facultatively neotenic population of tiger salamanders and the virtually obligate neoteny in the axolotl. Just an inflexibility in hormone levels in the axolotl. I believe Jake's original statement is correct.

Old 14th June 2016   #254 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: Elise is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgElise is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgElise is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgElise is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgElise is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kochebi View Post
So yes, there's the huge difference in that most mole salamanders metamorphose as a part of their life cycle but the metamorphosis of an axolotl is extremely stressful and usually shortens the animal's lifespan dramatically... if it even makes it through the process.
I believe your statements are mostly assumptive. I have a naturally occurring metamorphosed adult axolotl of two years and I wouldn't consider the trigger factors, nor the transition extreme. She continued to eat through the whole process with the same gluttonous appetite. It was one of the many reasons that I didn't suspect metamorphosis until it was fully underway. It didn't fully sink in until she blinked. There is also the fact that she has continued to live fully aquatic despite my efforts otherwise. She seems perfectly content being a newt.
Attached Thumbnails
Metamorphed Axy...-img_20160227_002755.jpg  

Old 15th July 2016   #255 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: freekygeeky has shown reliable knowledgefreekygeeky has shown reliable knowledge

So some 9 year on, and I'm thinking of owning an axy again, I then remembered my little metermorphed guy, and remembered this thread! I can't believe it's still going!! x

Old 26th July 2016   #256 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Dace is an unknown quantity at this point

I just joined and don't own any Axolotls yet, but I found it very interesting that your Axolotl morphed. Whether you meant to do it or it did it on its own is moot, it happened. What I have read is that its very difficult for them to morph. The conditions have to be just right and there are many conditions that have to be met all in a timely manor. I find it wicked interesting.

Closed Thread

Tags
ambystoma, ambystoma mexicanum, axolotl, axy, metamorph, metamorphed, metamorphosed axolotl, metamorphosing, mexicanum, morph

LinkBack