The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Metamorphed Axy...

This is a discussion on Metamorphed Axy... within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Originally Posted by catfishmck hi Here r some pic's of alex he/she (Im not sure yet any help on that ...

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Like Tree114Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th April 2008   #41 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Nessi88 has started on the right path

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfishmck View Post
hi
Here r some pic's of alex he/she (Im not sure yet any help on that too would be appreciated) use to look just like your first picture ive recently moved alex to a bigger tank now its losted all its gills eyes have gone kind of foggy and theres very little movment at all and no eatting. Im asking you cause it looks just the same can you help
It looks like hes going to morph, because of the gills and the "outstanding" eyes.
Have a look at his mouth. Maybe he got problems to eat because hes getting a tongue.
The "fogg" on his eyes could be harmless bacteria. My axos got this too. I put one bag of black tea per 1l into the tank for about a week and it was off.
You said, he has been moved into a bigger tank.
Do you took the water from the other tank into the new one?
Do you analysed the water? Is the temperature the same?
What do you fed him?

Old 27th April 2008   #42 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Axolotl suffering from some sort of infection brought on by dirty/unfit water conditions. Fix the problem (temperature, water quality, some stress in the tank such as high water flow or combination of all), keep the water cool and give it a day or two to see if it will eat. If it won't eat then you need to treat it right then for bacterial septicemia - there are various treatments talked about on the forum (do a search) and on the axolotl site. Good luck.

Old 28th April 2008   #43 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: catfishmck has started on the right path
Default thanks

Ive put him in the fridge for while I've been doing salt baths. The water temp is 17/ 18 decrees the PH is around 7.6 and the ammonia and nitrite are at 0. Before i was feeding him crickets and frozen blood worms/fish which he wont eat anymore. Now he's eating wax worms occasionally only if i hold in front of his mouth for a while. in the past few days he's been eating more and moving a bit too he still doesn't look to happy tho if he is getting better will his gills grow back or If he was to metamorphose does that just happen on its own or do i have to do anything.

Old 28th April 2008   #44 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

If he's eating then he should recover. Unless he has fungus I would lay off the salt baths - they can do more harm than good.

He's not metamorphosing so don't worry about it. If you want to know more about that there are threads on the forum and a page about metamorphosed axolotls on the axolotl site.

His gill filaments will grow back but it's unlikely that the full branches will ever grow back.

Where in Ireland are you? I am from Dublin but I moved to the US 3 years ago.

Old 28th April 2008   #45 (permalink)

Nationality:
Default Re: Metamorphed Axy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
Axolotl suffering from some sort of infection brought on by dirty/unfit water conditions.
Its not always an infection. This happened to more than one axo in anonther forum.
Look at this two pictures, the second ist made after a week in black tea.
But only the vet is able to tell if its an infection or not.

EDIT:
That he could be morphing was just a idea. He looks like another axo, who dont eat anything of course he got the tongue. Im happy if i missinterpret it. But he possibility for the dusty-eyes not beeing a symptom is given (possible).
Attached Thumbnails
Metamorphed Axy...-img_0139.jpg   Metamorphed Axy...-img_0160.jpg  

Old 28th April 2008   #46 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessi88 View Post
Its not always an infection. This happened to more than one axo in anonther forum.
Look at this two pictures, the second ist made after a week in black tea.
But only the vet is able to tell if its an infection or not.

EDIT:
That he could be morphing was just a idea. He looks like another axo, who dont eat anything of course he got the tongue. Im happy if i missinterpret it. But he possibility for the dusty-eyes not beeing a symptom is given (possible).
Thanks for offering your assessment Nessi - it's always good to have more than one opinion and person trying to help, and I definitely think Caudata.org could always use more Germans. Cat's axolotl looks significantly different to your photographs - you seem to be going by the eyes. I was not using them at all. Eye cloudiness can mean nothing or something and is not a reliable diagnostic symptom.

Old 29th April 2008   #47 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: catfishmck has started on the right path

Quote:
If he's eating then he should recover. Unless he has fungus I would lay off the salt baths - they can do more harm than good.

He's not metamorphosing so don't worry about it. If you want to know more about that there are threads on the forum and a page about metamorphosed axolotls on the axolotl site.

His gill filaments will grow back but it's unlikely that the full branches will ever grow back.

Where in Ireland are you? I am from Dublin but I moved to the US 3 years ago.

Thanks john im from N.Ireland but living in portarlington now and i must say i like your web sit

Old 29th April 2008   #48 (permalink)

Nationality:

Quote:
Thanks for offering your assessment Nessi - it's always good to have more than one opinion and person trying to help, and I definitely think Caudata.org could always use more Germans. Cat's axolotl looks significantly different to your photographs - you seem to be going by the eyes. I was not using them at all. Eye cloudiness can mean nothing or something and is not a reliable diagnostic symptom.
Im sorry if it sounded a bit agressive.
With your statement about not using the look of the eyes, your position now is understandable for me. My pictures were only relating to the eyes. Maybe I should have said this clear.
If there is any interest about pictures or the development of the axo i meant, writing about metamporphosis, i can (if its allowed) put a link.

Best regards,

Julia

Old 29th April 2008   #49 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:

I see no harm in hearing more about metamorphosing axolotls. There are several threads on this forum with photos showing metamorphosing and metamorphosed axolotls too but more is always better.

Old 29th April 2008   #50 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfishmck View Post
Thanks john im from N.Ireland but living in portarlington now and i must say i like your web sit
Thanks for the kind words. Every once in a while we get someone in Ireland here but it's rare for them to post. Best of luck with your axolotl.

Old 29th April 2008   #51 (permalink)

Nationality:

Yes, the more you see, the better.
http://www.ambystoma-board.de/thread.php?threadid=1434
In some forums its not allowed to post links to another forum.

Last edited by John; 29th April 2008 at 18:51. Reason: Fixed your link.
Old 29th April 2008   #52 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:

The board you're linking requires people to register to access it. I doubt many will go to that trouble :/.

Old 29th April 2008   #53 (permalink)

Nationality:

Oh... right. Im logged in every time. So I forget it.
Maybe I will ask the owner of the photographs if im allowed to post the pictures and a briefing.

Old 5th May 2008   #54 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Rep: DAMIAN has started on the right path
Cool Re: Metamorphed Axy...

Wow!!
That's incredible... did you do something to make it metamorphose... or it just did it by itself?

I thought it wansn't nice metamorphosed, but after watching those pictures, I've changed my mind...

Good luck with it!!
Take care

Old 5th May 2008   #55 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: freekygeeky has shown reliable knowledgefreekygeeky has shown reliable knowledge

new photos of him last night, hope you like!

UPDATE on Mr Lister

Old 6th May 2008   #56 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 3
Comments: 2
Rep: monomike has started on the right path

So does anyone know if morphing has a genetic component? If you breed this guy with a regular female do a larger percentage of the offspring morph?

Old 10th May 2008   #57 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: bobtheaxie has started on the right path

Can I just ask - in Morphed axies does the behaviour change much ? I always wondered if they would move the same amount / at the same speed as an "un" morphed axie ?

Old 10th May 2008   #58 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:

They become like tiger salamanders. Have a look for videos of tigers moving on youtube.

Old 4th June 2008   #59 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: j0wwww has started on the right path

that is seriously hot. awesome!!

Old 4th June 2008   #60 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0wwww View Post
that is seriously hot. awesome!!
Thank you Paris Hilton. Can we keep posts a bit more meaningful please.

Tags
ambystoma, ambystoma mexicanum, axolotl, axy, metamorph, metamorphed, metamorphosed axolotl, metamorphosing, mexicanum, morph

LinkBack