The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store Donate

Metamorphed Axy...

This is a discussion on Metamorphed Axy... within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hello how did u morp him, we hav got an axolotl that had jumped out of his tank at night ...

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Like Tree77Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th March 2009   #141 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: seal keeper is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: Metamorphed Axy...

Hello how did u morp him, we hav got an axolotl that had jumped out of his tank at night and we only noticed in the mornin and is not liking the water any more and floats at the top, so i think i am goin 2 try and morp him, if u hav any suggests please say!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
seal keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2009   #142 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: ferret_corner has given consistently excellent advice and informationferret_corner has given consistently excellent advice and informationferret_corner has given consistently excellent advice and informationferret_corner has given consistently excellent advice and informationferret_corner has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default Re: Metamorphed Axy...

there are a lot of posts about morphing axolotls. HOWEVER you cannot force an axolotl to morph. Its not safe. Please visit the sick axolotl section for help with your axolotl.

Yesterday is history, Tomorrow a mystery, but Today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.
Master Oogway
ferret_corner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2009   #143 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: freekygeeky has shown reliable knowledgefreekygeeky has shown reliable knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by seal keeper View Post
Hello how did u morp him, we hav got an axolotl that had jumped out of his tank at night and we only noticed in the mornin and is not liking the water any more and floats at the top, so i think i am goin 2 try and morp him, if u hav any suggests please say!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
you cant make one morph.. yours most likely nearly died.. thats not morphing, or it wanting to morph. may i suggest a lid or.. taller tank etc. So it doesnt happen again. P.s all the emails and pm's and comments on here from lots of people saying.. ''wow, coool, i want one. tell me how to do it.'' i didnt do it. it happened. dont force or try to make it happen. it wont work. and you could kill your axy. if you dont like it for what it is......you shouldnt have got an axy :)
Old 18th March 2009   #144 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by freekygeeky View Post
if you dont like it for what it is......you shouldnt have got an axy :)
Freeky is 100% correct. You should have gotten a tiger salamander, not an axolotl.
Old 18th March 2009   #145 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Why would you want a weak, short-lived white axolotl when you could have one of these?

Click the image to open in full size.

Who wouldn't love that smile?
Old 18th March 2009   #146 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 5
Rep: b00f has given good advice and informationb00f has given good advice and informationb00f has given good advice and information

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
Why would you want a weak, short-lived white axolotl when you could have one of these?

Who wouldn't love that smile?

John, your photographic skills, are awesome....

how did he like being put in a white box?
b00f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2009   #147 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by b00f View Post
John, your photographic skills, are awesome....

how did he like being put in a white box?
Thank you for the compliment. She did not like it at all and wouldn't stay still.
Old 18th March 2009   #148 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: kclinton has shown reliable knowledgekclinton has shown reliable knowledge

I agree with John and freekygeeky. You should not do it.
kclinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2009   #149 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: freekygeeky has shown reliable knowledgefreekygeeky has shown reliable knowledge

thanky.

john what do you think Re the soil earth eco earth etc flooring.
all the morphed axies on this thread are in water.. worried now.
Old 18th March 2009   #150 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:

I hope they are not in water. Top soil all the way, or coconut fibre if you're desperate (like Eco Earth). No water please.
Old 18th March 2009   #151 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: ferret_corner has given consistently excellent advice and informationferret_corner has given consistently excellent advice and informationferret_corner has given consistently excellent advice and informationferret_corner has given consistently excellent advice and informationferret_corner has given consistently excellent advice and information

hahahaha John that is an awesome picture!!! I see a greeting card....

Yesterday is history, Tomorrow a mystery, but Today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.
Master Oogway
ferret_corner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2009   #152 (permalink)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
I hope they are not in water. Top soil all the way, or coconut fibre if you're desperate (like Eco Earth). No water please.
ok thank you *phew*
Old 23rd March 2009   #153 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: tuxar linuxarmy is an unknown quantity at this point

i think he is an mix if he morped naturaly
tuxar linuxarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2009   #154 (permalink)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxar linuxarmy View Post
i think he is an mix if he morped naturaly
didnt really happen naturally though..:) (that DOES NOT mean i did it on purpose)
Old 14th April 2009   #155 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: katemichelle is an unknown quantity at this point

I keep reading out morphed axy's, but out of curiosity, how do you know if they are morphing? I have absolutely no intention of morphing my axy's cause I love them as is, especially their awesome gills, but have been intrigued by this.
katemichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2009   #156 (permalink)
Veterinarian

Nationality:
Rep: Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11

Hi Katemichelle,

Firstly, axolotls morphing is a rare spontaneous event. It is not the norm. Axolotls are neotenic (retaining larval features). The rare few that do morph, do so due to genetic predisposition and environmental triggers. Most axolotls will die way before they have a change to morph so do not attempt to induce this yourself.

There are behavioural and physical characteristics that herald a spontaneous morph. Behaviour wise, most morphing axies will become inappetant and may even become completely anorexic. They may try to swim to the water surface more frequently, struggle to get out of the water or cling on to floating objects to remain partially submerged.

Physically, their fins and gills will start receding, eyelids start developing and the general body shape and conformation changes. They appear more salamander like. Limbs can also become more muscular while the tail appears less 'flattened' for swimming. The skin texture might appear different and there might also be pigmentation changes.

Cheers.
Old 16th April 2009   #157 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: katemichelle is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Rayson!

Yet another reason why these creatures are so awesome!!
katemichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2009   #158 (permalink)

Nationality:

Re: Metamorphed Axy...
I keep reading out morphed axy's, but out of curiosity, how do you know if they are morphing? I have absolutely no intention of morphing my axy's cause I love them as is, especially their awesome gills, but have been intrigued by this.

here you go

when i got him...watch how he changed
gills going
going more so
compltlly on land
eyes changing
done finished, this is him awhile back, he has since lost weight (over the winter, he didnt eat much) hopfully this will come back on this summer
Old 31st May 2009   #159 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 13
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11

Unfortunately Gina's /Freekygeeky's Mr Lister has passed away...I will leave it for Gina to pass on any more details. But I will very much miss hearing the updates on the little guy.
bellabelloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2009   #160 (permalink)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellabelloo View Post
Unfortunately Gina's /Freekygeeky's Mr Lister has passed away...I will leave it for Gina to pass on any more details. But I will very much miss hearing the updates on the little guy.
thankyou julia.
Thankyou everyone, i will miss giving / posting updates. But to everyone who cared and liked seeing his pics etc, thank you x

r.i.p
Mr Lister

Tags
ambystoma, ambystoma mexicanum, axolotl, axy, metamorph, metamorphed, metamorphosed axolotl, metamorphosing, mexicanum, morph