The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Why did you give your axie that name?

This is a discussion on Why did you give your axie that name? within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; hi ya, i hadn't decided on a name for my axies untill about a week after i got him/her, but ...

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Like Tree172Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st April 2008   #21 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: rich has started on the right path

hi ya, i hadn't decided on a name for my axies untill about a week after i got him/her, but then it came to me! i loved the way his loest gills on each side bend stright down, as it is originall, an it remineded me about the cartoon Yu-Ghi-Oh i used to watch, so i have named him/her Yu-Ghi :) what you think?

rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2008   #22 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genome42 View Post
The character in the books keeps newts (and i figured axies were of the same family!) and it rhythms with axolotl!
Just to be a total negative Nellie, no, they're not. They're in the same class, but axolotls are in the family Ambystomatidae while newts are in the family Salamandridae.

As far as my axolotls: I have Big Boy Blue (commonly called Blue), as when he was younger, he was purple, but that didn't have the same ring to it. And Molly, the eyeless female. I rarely call them by any names though. I also have a leucistic juvenile (offspring of Blue and Molly), who is called Midget, as it's slow to grow.

Other critters include: Lewis and Clark, the musk turtles; Gordy (El Gordo) and Luigi, the tiger sals; Einstein, the roughskinned newt; Sausage, the blue spotted salamander; Wheezy, George, and Craig, the Jefferson's sals (get it? The Jeffersons? haha. You all might be too young for that. Craig as named for a friend); Bitely and Kinky, the ball pythons; Killer, the kenyan sand boa; and Cloey and Clyde, the rat snakes; and Al, the insane calico cat.

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2008   #23 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Comments: 1
Rep: Genome42 has given consistently good advice and informationGenome42 has given consistently good advice and informationGenome42 has given consistently good advice and informationGenome42 has given consistently good advice and information

Well whats a class or family between friends!
I never liked evolutionary biology, so i couldn't remember which one was class or family, my mistake!

Genome42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2008   #24 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: rastus has started on the right path
Talking Tuco

My axolotl is called Tuco. Can anyone guess why. Hint: it's from a movie.

rastus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2008   #25 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Aristotle has started on the right path

i called my first axolotl Aristotle, for obvious reasons. my second i can't decide whether to call him Gary, Dave or Mark Twain.

Aristotle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2008   #26 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Rep: Saspotato is a mainstay of Caudata.orgSaspotato is a mainstay of Caudata.orgSaspotato is a mainstay of Caudata.orgSaspotato is a mainstay of Caudata.orgSaspotato is a mainstay of Caudata.orgSaspotato is a mainstay of Caudata.orgSaspotato is a mainstay of Caudata.org

What are the obvious reasons? Not too obvious for me :P

Hmm Mark Twain is the most interesting name out of those :)

Saspotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2008   #27 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Kal El has given consistently good advice and informationKal El has given consistently good advice and informationKal El has given consistently good advice and informationKal El has given consistently good advice and information

I only know Aristotle as being 'the father of chemistry', in particular luminescence (emanations without heat) but that's all I can think of.
I recently had a test for analytical chemistry in case anybody is wondering why I bothered to retain such information

Jay.

Old 2nd April 2008   #28 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: sichbo1 has started on the right path

My first axolotl is called Lola, as she is leucistic with pink gills which reminded me of a feather boa, and thus 'Lola the showgirl' from the Barry Manilow song! Actually she could turn out to be a boy! Lol!
This is my first message on the forum by the way.

sichbo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2008   #29 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Lisa is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgLisa is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgLisa is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgLisa is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgLisa is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

I think Tom is referring to an Australian institution, a childrens tv show called playschool, where they semi-regularly read a story called "Aristotle the Axolotl". Forgive me if I'm mistaken Tom. Reading threads like this make me feel old!!

Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2008   #30 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Rep: Saspotato is a mainstay of Caudata.orgSaspotato is a mainstay of Caudata.orgSaspotato is a mainstay of Caudata.orgSaspotato is a mainstay of Caudata.orgSaspotato is a mainstay of Caudata.orgSaspotato is a mainstay of Caudata.orgSaspotato is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Ahh I didn't have telly when I was a kid (or for the last 5 years! really out of touch) so have never seen that show, I have heard of Playschool though...

Saspotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2008   #31 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Rep: SarahandRich has started on the right path
Red face

Having hatched 43 eggs, I'll be keeping a few - not sure how many, prob 4. Two names I have given out already (for obvious reasons) are eatsalottle and fatsolotl.

SarahandRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2008   #32 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: robbie257 has started on the right path
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saspotato View Post
Haha, is your Bubbles like the one from Finding Nemo then? If you haven't seen that movie, there is a little fish that yells 'Bubbles' whenever the bubbler opens - it's really cute but you kinda have to see it. :P

Well I have Maxolotl the Axolotl because I like rhyming names. I have had Mishy the Fishy I-III, Mish the Fish, Muppy the Guppy, Mactus the Cactus and Mucculent the Succulent. Sad... I know. I don't even know why I always go with an M name...

I too am procastinating at work while I wait for my scripts to run
All of my pets have to have bizzare names, i cant stand really simple names...

i have a gold and black axie

both are girls...

so im kinda ashamed..

i called the gold one homer (i no its a boy name...BUT I HAVE NOW JUST MADE IT UNISEX OK!) and basically i named her homer because she eats a hell of alot of food... and shes fat :P

and my black one, i named her Gertrude... i no sounds ugly at first, but it grows on you, ive actually become quite fond of the name... i reckon it suits her

anyway theres my names xD

but omg i love the rhyming names... haha i laughed at them, i think its clever!!!

robbie257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2008   #33 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: hanniebumblebee has shown reliable knowledgehanniebumblebee has shown reliable knowledge

mine are called miso and kawasaki coz i reks they look like pokemon nd those were the only japanese things i cood think of at the time lol they are cute :)

hanniebumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2008   #34 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 7
Rep: GutterRoxy has started on the right path

My little guy is named Porphirio after Porfirio Diaz because I have a habit of naming my animals after dictators from their respective countries of origin. I also have a leopard gecko named Kadaphi after Muammar Qadafi and a crested gecko named Jacques Lafleur.

GutterRoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2008   #35 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 15
Rep: DantezGirl has started on the right path

my wild type female is called midnight because she's black and a leusistic male called spot as he has spots and a japanese fire belly newt called charmander from pokemon

Old 8th April 2008   #36 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Julie1002 has started on the right path

my albino was named by my friend who bought him as a xmas pressie. His name is Diego as he is a mexican walking fish. lol. She thought a spanish name was appropriate. Apparently his name has something to do with teaching and since having him has been a learning experience it fits him quite well

Julie1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2008   #37 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: ali000 has shown reliable knowledgeali000 has shown reliable knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by sichbo1 View Post
My first axolotl is called Lola, as she is leucistic with pink gills which reminded me of a feather boa, and thus 'Lola the showgirl' from the Barry Manilow song! Actually she could turn out to be a boy! Lol!
This is my first message on the forum by the way.
Lol, it'll still be o.k if it turns out to be a boy.... then it'll be 'Lola' by the Kinks

ali000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2008   #38 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

Hahahaha!!

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2008   #39 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Aristotle has started on the right path

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saspotato View Post
What are the obvious reasons? Not too obvious for me :P

Hmm Mark Twain is the most interesting name out of those :)
Because Aristotle sounds similar to Axolotl. And Aristotle was cool. Although Archimedes might be more appropriate. For other obvious reasons.

In the end, I decided to call my new one "Sausage". :)
His full name is Bradford Sausage.

Aristotle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2008   #40 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Nina has started on the right path

mine is rather boring...and one of the non-creative ones... axl rose....coz hes a white/pinkie albino. but he gets mr axl. only problem now is that im not sure that he is a he...and miss axl doesnt have the same ring!

Nina is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axie, give

LinkBack