The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Why did you give your axie that name?

This is a discussion on Why did you give your axie that name? within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hey everyone, Just thought I'd throw in something random because I should be studying but i'm procrastinating to no end ...

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Like Tree172Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th March 2008   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Kal El has given consistently good advice and informationKal El has given consistently good advice and informationKal El has given consistently good advice and informationKal El has given consistently good advice and information
Talking Why did you give your axie that name?

Hey everyone,

Just thought I'd throw in something random because I should be studying but i'm procrastinating to no end But you know what they say: Procrastinators. The leaders of tomorrow... Anyway, how did everybody come up with the name(s) for their axolotl(s)? Because some people have some very funky and creative names...so it's more just out of curiosity if anything

I called mine Bubbles (yeah, real orginial I know! ) because she loves hanging around the airstone and if she could I'm sure she would build a fort up around her. When I told my friend the name, she laughed at me and told me that I might as well have called her "Gas" lol.

So yeah, lets get to know all the weird and wonderful names for these amazing pets.

Jay.

Old 27th March 2008   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Comments: 1
Rep: Saspotato is a mainstay of Caudata.orgSaspotato is a mainstay of Caudata.orgSaspotato is a mainstay of Caudata.orgSaspotato is a mainstay of Caudata.orgSaspotato is a mainstay of Caudata.orgSaspotato is a mainstay of Caudata.orgSaspotato is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Haha, is your Bubbles like the one from Finding Nemo then? If you haven't seen that movie, there is a little fish that yells 'Bubbles' whenever the bubbler opens - it's really cute but you kinda have to see it. :P

Well I have Maxolotl the Axolotl because I like rhyming names. I have had Mishy the Fishy I-III, Mish the Fish, Muppy the Guppy, Mactus the Cactus and Mucculent the Succulent. Sad... I know. I don't even know why I always go with an M name...

I too am procastinating at work while I wait for my scripts to run

Saspotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2008   #3 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: philbaker76 has given consistently good advice and informationphilbaker76 has given consistently good advice and informationphilbaker76 has given consistently good advice and informationphilbaker76 has given consistently good advice and information

My Axolotls sort of inherit their names.

I have my three golden girls (although I don't know their sex yet) - The Bellabelloo's; Pig, Funny Gill, the other one. ColinB's; Big Colin and Little Colin.

First Axolotl I ever raised; The General (White Axolotl with one smaller leg); At my sister's house I have Nigel's; White Male & White Female and Black Male & Black Female.

philbaker76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2008   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Rep: seedy has shown reliable knowledgeseedy has shown reliable knowledge

I have Mrs Gilmore (gilly for short) because she always looks like she is smiling and happy, and Bugsy who had lost his frills so I seemed to focus on his eyes.
The short leged "The General" made me laugh.

seedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2008   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Kal El has given consistently good advice and informationKal El has given consistently good advice and informationKal El has given consistently good advice and informationKal El has given consistently good advice and information

I do remember commenting on the name Maxolotl, and that's exactly what I meant by 'creative' And yes, I have seen Finding Nemo (it's a personal favourite- next to The Lion King). The yellow fish sees the bubbles and says "my bubbles!"...now that's gold! Could i be more of a child!?

Jay.

Old 27th March 2008   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Quetzalcoatl has given good advice and informationQuetzalcoatl has given good advice and informationQuetzalcoatl has given good advice and information

The name Darwin was coined by my 10-yr old daughter, as an obvious reference to the evolutionary curiosity that axolotls are. We also thought of Choxolotl (he's brown, and that's the Mayan word for chocolate) and Quetzalcoatl, the feathered serpent. The gills are sort of feathery.

Quetzalcoatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2008   #7 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 15
Rep: ianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.orgianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.orgianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.orgianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.orgianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.orgianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.orgianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.orgianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.org

I have Hendrix, Ollie, Smeagol and Moomintroll

All are named for their looks or behaviours Hendrix is so named as he has a damaged right leg and so is left handed his gills are also reminiscent of Jimis mop of hair, Ollie Nominally Oliver for the "Dickens Oliver Twist" and his insatiable appetite. Smeagol simply because I live in Middle Earth so it seemed appropriate. Moomintroll because she really looks like a character from a series of childrens books by the same name

ianclick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2008   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 13
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11

I suggested Moomintroll for my original female and the cherubs just gave me the all too familiar blank look and shake of the head... peasants!. So we have Jeffrey my male wild type who was named by my eldest and Princess Maude named with the help of my little maid ..it also happens to be the name of a comic couple by Jeff Lawson. We have one juvenile who has been temporarily called Tiddler, but this now has to be changes as my next addition to the family is also being called this.

bellabelloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2008   #9 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 17
Comments: 43
Rep: gr33neyes is a mainstay of Caudata.orggr33neyes is a mainstay of Caudata.orggr33neyes is a mainstay of Caudata.orggr33neyes is a mainstay of Caudata.orggr33neyes is a mainstay of Caudata.orggr33neyes is a mainstay of Caudata.orggr33neyes is a mainstay of Caudata.orggr33neyes is a mainstay of Caudata.org

'Princess Maude' that does sound very grand lol.
My two are named 'Gloria' and 'Suki'.
Gloria- don't know why, it just came to me and I think it suits her.
Suki- this was shortened down from Vasuki. Vasuki was a mythical sea serpent/dragon creature who churned the oceans. I just liked it because it was different and at least 'water' related.

Old 27th March 2008   #10 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 10
Rep: Jake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

I have one that was named Pirate (originally "Gary"). Teesha came up with that name in this thread: Very strange Axolotl color morph...

He's named that because of his one dark eye, but is special for other, more obvious reasons as well

Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2008   #11 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: tyl3r has given good advice and informationtyl3r has given good advice and informationtyl3r has given good advice and information

My very first axolotl was called Albert - because when I got him, he was "All but" 1 foot. It sort of lost some meaning when he grew it back within a couple of months.

tyl3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2008   #12 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: PenumbraHulk has started on the right path

I called mine Cerveza which is Spanish for beer and Spanish is the main language of Mexico.

PenumbraHulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2008   #13 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Levo has started on the right path

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetzalcoatl View Post
The name Darwin was coined by my 10-yr old daughter, as an obvious reference to the evolutionary curiosity that axolotls are. We also thought of Choxolotl (he's brown, and that's the Mayan word for chocolate) and Quetzalcoatl, the feathered serpent. The gills are sort of feathery.
I have called mine Darwin for the same reason, I also noticed not so long ago that Chester Zoo have something called the Darwin program were they are trying to save the axolotl's wild habitat.

Levo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2008   #14 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Lisa is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgLisa is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgLisa is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgLisa is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgLisa is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Mine is very boringly called Fred after a visitor to our house just after we got him started calling him Freeky Fred and I clutched at that as all anyone around here could come up with otherwise was Axel. However I now have another we've only had for a few days, also male I think, who is name-less currently. Any ideas? My Pets tend to end up with People names. We have had two boxers, one was Roy, and the other (current) is Lucy.

Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2008   #15 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 9
Comments: 10
Rep: IanF has given consistently good advice and informationIanF has given consistently good advice and informationIanF has given consistently good advice and informationIanF has given consistently good advice and information

Hello, Figured I'd explain mine for the heck of it.

Tanis- A word derived from Semitic roots meaning 'Serpent Lady'

Atin- An Egyptian God of the Sun, also a favourite name of mine.

IanF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2008   #16 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Levo has started on the right path

A little off topic but I was surprised to learn this week what axolotl actually means. It is an Aztec work for "Water Monster".

and just on the topic of Egyptians God's my girlfriend is actually an Egyptologist and I think that my next axolotl will be named after something egypty.

Levo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2008   #17 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: chris_c has started on the right path

I am an avid gardener
hence the names: Rosemary, Thyme, Sage, Basil and Saffron.

chris_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2008   #18 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Waziakrim has started on the right path

When my girlfriend bought me mine he was chasing the others around the tank, so Sid Vicious it was. If he starts playing bass guitar I will let you know.

Waziakrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2008   #19 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Rep: Genome42 has given consistently good advice and informationGenome42 has given consistently good advice and informationGenome42 has given consistently good advice and informationGenome42 has given consistently good advice and information

Mine is called Gussy Finknotle after the characteur in the PG Wodehouse books 'jeeves and wooster'
The character in the books keeps newts (and i figured axies were of the same family!) and it rhythms with axolotl!

Genome42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2008   #20 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: squiddon has started on the right path

Mine are called Ray Mysterio and Binky. Ray because he's mexican and Binky because it was a cute name, and also is death's horse in the Discworld books.

squiddon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axie, give

LinkBack