The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

fruit flies and weevils

This is a discussion on fruit flies and weevils within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; is it ok to feed fruit flys to axolotl larvea and weevils to adults i have absoloutly no problem finding ...

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th June 2008   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: WATERPUPPY is an unknown quantity at this point
Default fruit flies and weevils

is it ok to feed fruit flys to axolotl larvea
and weevils to adults i have absoloutly no problem finding these

WATERPUPPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2008   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Lisa is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgLisa is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgLisa is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgLisa is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgLisa is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: fruit flies and weevils

Can't think of a reason why not. But I don't know if your larvae would eat them initially; you might need to wait until they were past the brine shrimp/daphnia stage. Hopefully someone who's actually raised some will reply to you, as I haven't. .

Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2008   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 9
Comments: 12
Rep: Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11
Default Re: fruit flies and weevils

Hi Waterpuppy,

This article provides a list of foods appropriate for caudata and it also advises that fruit flies are not appropriate for aquatic caudata.

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/foods.shtml

Fruit flies are not very nutricious and would escape before larvae could catch them I think, not to mention the size of the fly compared to the larvae.

I would suggest you read these articles carefully if considering rearing larvae:

http://www.axolotl.org/rearing.htm
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/microfoods.shtml

Do you have any larvae?

Cheers Jacq.

Useful links: Forum Rules | Axolotl Caresheets | Axolotl Sanctuary | Axolotl FAQ| Water Quality FAQ | Caudata Culture Articles
Jacquie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flies, fruit, weevils

LinkBack