The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Axolotl varieties

This is a discussion on Axolotl varieties within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hello everyone! I wonder first of all how many varieties of axolotl exist? I have been looking for harlequin axolotl ...

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd June 2008   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: mrthomasjohansson has started on the right path
Default Axolotl varieties

Hello everyone!

I wonder first of all how many varieties of axolotl exist?

I have been looking for harlequin axolotl for a long time. Does anyone know if this variety exist on the market?

Sincerely
Thomas

mrthomasjohansson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2008   #2 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Comments: 5
Rep: madeve is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmadeve is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmadeve is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmadeve is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmadeve is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmadeve is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmadeve is a mainstay of Caudata.org
Default Re: Axolotl varieties

Hi,

have a look here http://www.axolotl.org/genetics.htm it shows the different axolotls colors. I don't believe they have a "harlequin" so to speak, I think what you refer to is a leucistic axolotls with some markings. You can also have a look at the gallery.
Eve

madeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2008   #3 (permalink)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 3
Rep: blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11

Hello Thomas,

There is another thread about harlequin axolotls:
Pied/halequin axies?

Also, right on the home page of the axolotl.org site is a picture of the various colors of axolotls. None of those in the pciture have spots, but the basic colors are there:
http://www.axolotl.org/

-Eva

blueberlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2008   #4 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: ali000 has shown reliable knowledgeali000 has shown reliable knowledge

Yes, there is such a colouring as harlequin/pied but it is extremely rare.

Old 28th September 2008   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Gismonikon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default AW: Axolotl varieties

Rare by normal Axolotl
But,
Tigeraxohybrids are often Harlekins-
Click the image to open in full size.
Theres both possible-
terrestic or neotenic Morphs...

Gismonikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2008   #6 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11
Default Re: AW: Axolotl varieties

Gismonikon, can you give us more information on the source of these pictures?

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2008   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:

Thats my Hybrids-
Ive mate a neotenic Tiger with 2 white female Axolotl 2003-
And thats the result.
The neotenic looks very simular to Axolotl-with very long gills and different colours-
In the F1-Generation the Regeneration was not so good,but thats ok now.
All Hybrids are fertil and sometimes they morphe,see the last two pictures.

Old 28th September 2008   #8 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

Don't you fear that by making hybrids, you may be 'muddying' the gene pool?

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2008   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:

Thats a good question-

This crossbreeding is not new-
it was made several times before and I think the Axolotl Genpool was mixed with Tigers years ago-
Golden and Albinos are very common and they are also Tigerhybrids-
However-
at the moment,I do not give them away,only sometimes exchange with friends who know about the hybrids and the facts
-but.....Im not shure if it really matters.

Old 28th September 2008   #10 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 33
Comments: 7
Rep: Daniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gismonikon View Post
...at the moment,I do not give them away,only sometimes exchange with friends who know about the hybrids and the facts
They have been given away by you and others for years, even without the information that they are hybrids - I have one of those of the first generation myself. They have been used for breeding (several generations) since then, thereby muddying the genetic pool at least in Germany quite a lot.

Of course there has always been a part of A. tigrinum genes in Axolotls as pets (since Prof. Humphrey created the first albinos) but in my opinion this recent cross breeding was an attempt to play god and did no good to the genetic pool (however nice or interesting they might look). It might have been interesting if it was just for a scientific purpose and the population would have been kept to itself, but they have been sold in dozens to hobbyists knowing almost nothing about genetics.

Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2008   #11 (permalink)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Comments: 3
Rep: blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11

I apologize for piping in here as I am just a Stupid, but I must say that those animals look kind of unhealthy compared to my more simple versions of axolotls. The animals in the pictures have various body parts looking like straining - eyes, heads, legs - the best example I can think of offhand are pumped up humans on steroids. The pictures kind of hurt me just to look at them. What kind of axolotls are these, again, please?

-Eva

blueberlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2008   #12 (permalink)
Caudata.org Donor

Nationality:
Rep: Nathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueberlin View Post
I apologize for piping in here as I am just a Stupid, but I must say that those animals look kind of unhealthy compared to my more simple versions of axolotls. The animals in the pictures have various body parts looking like straining - eyes, heads, legs - the best example I can think of offhand are pumped up humans on steroids. The pictures kind of hurt me just to look at them. What kind of axolotls are these, again, please?

-Eva
These are direct axolotl X Tiger salamander hybrids, Eva- apparently they are the result of a neotenic male tiger salamander and a female axolotl. I believe the strange look may be because they look a lot like tiger salamander larvae- although I'm no expert on axolotls or their genetics...

Wollemi
(Look around you)
-Australian Aboriginal saying

Nathan050793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2008   #13 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

It's a pity that this is going on in what appears to be an unscientific manner. Humphrey only hybridised the two species in order to get the albino gene into axolotls. Then the tiger salamander influence was diluted enormously in order to retain the albino gene and ~nothing else.

Old 30th May 2011   #14 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: mamatoulouse is an unknown quantity at this point

so... all of the ones in the jar... they will lose their gills and become land dwellers?

mamatoulouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011   #15 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Zalth has shown reliable knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrthomasjohansson View Post
Hello everyone!

I wonder first of all how many varieties of axolotl exist?

I have been looking for harlequin axolotl for a long time. Does anyone know if this variety exist on the market?

Sincerely
Thomas
Hello Thomas!
I know there's been one axolotl called "Paddis" in Sweden. The girl that kept her sold her at some point, tho.
Click the image to open in full size. <- "Paddis"

I don't know, but if there's one there should be more, right? I'm not sure where she got her from, but maybe I can find her email!

Zalth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011   #16 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: caseeybrown has started on the right path

This is a link to a similar thread i posted: http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-beg...e-axolotl.html

Theres some beautiful pics on there and a rare type called Chimeara (cant spell it lol!)

Take a look!

Old 31st May 2011   #17 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 12
Rep: Alioth has started on the right path

Spot the axolotl on youtube is also like Paddis. I love those colours as well :) .

Alioth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011   #18 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 2
Rep: Star has shown reliable knowledgeStar has shown reliable knowledge

Spot is beautiful!

Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011   #19 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 2
Rep: Star has shown reliable knowledgeStar has shown reliable knowledge

@Mamatoulouse

I would suspect that as they were crossed with A. tigrinum there is a higher chance they would metamorphose however as the father was neotenic I would hazard a guess that some would reach metamorphosis. I think it would depend on their generation though? F1 could possibly be ~50/50 but later generations would probably have more remaining neotenic. I guess it depends on which gene is dominant and which is recessive. I have no idea in this case :) I could also be talking out of my a*** but that is what I have understood so far of it. I'm guessing someone will jump in and correct me or add more info to what I've said :)

Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011   #20 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Zalth has shown reliable knowledge

Thomas, I contacted the girl that kept Paddis.
She said that she bought her from a girl from Ume that was moving out, although she sold her to someone else a year ago. I asked if she had any contact details on this new owner.

Haha, I feel like I'm stalking a celeb. The axolotl celeb, Paddis!

Last edited by Zalth; 31st May 2011 at 15:08.
Zalth is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack