The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Feeding Axies Worms

This is a discussion on Feeding Axies Worms within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; I decided to start feeding my axies live worms. I got night crawlers at Walmart because that's the only place ...

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th July 2008   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: brella is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Feeding Axies Worms

I decided to start feeding my axies live worms. I got night crawlers at Walmart because that's the only place that had worms. So I cut one into pieces and fed it to my axies. (I have 2 small axies, but one is slightly bigger) The bigger one ate the piece and it took it like a minute to swallow. Then it just sat there without moving. Then I placed a few more pieces in the tank and it ate a piece again, and then sat there motionless again for a while.
Were the piece too big? How do I know how much is enough to feed them?

brella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2008   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Terri9967 has shown reliable knowledgeTerri9967 has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Feeding Axies Worms

I usually cut my worms into pieces that are as long as my axies mouth is wide. As for how much to feed them, I usually feed mine twice a day while they are little, once they are adults you only feed them every 2 or 3 days. If I am wrong someone please correct me. I put a few pieces for each axie in the tank and check it after about 15min and any that they did not eat I remove from the tank.

Terri9967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2008   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 9
Comments: 12
Rep: Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11

Hi Brella,

Terri is spot on!

If I could just add, a general guide to ascertain if the axolotl is eating enough is to monitor their tummy. The tummy should be about as wide as the head, plump but not obese.

Don't worry if the portion size is too big. The axie will stubbornly work on it, but will eventually just spit it out.

Cheers Jacq.

Useful links: Forum Rules | Axolotl Caresheets | Axolotl Sanctuary | Axolotl FAQ| Water Quality FAQ | Caudata Culture Articles
Jacquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2008   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 13
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11

I suspect the sitting motionless after eating is that the worm is possibly still moving for while...mine seem to sit there as if they are patiently waiting to be able to open their mouths again.

bellabelloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2008   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:

I just checked their tank this morning and I spotted 2-3 pieces of worm. They must have thrown them up late last night. Does that mean something is wrong with the worms or they just ate more than they could digest?

Old 19th July 2008   #6 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

They probably just ate too much. Try feeding a little less next time. I've frequently bought worms from Walmart, so I don't think there's too much risk in them.

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2008   #7 (permalink)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Rep: michael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

If it is their first time on worms go slowly. I made the mistake of feeding lots of worms at once when I had extras. The axies got sick. It is my guess they got sick because of the quick change in diet. My guess is an all worm diet is fine. I try to avoid to much big bouncing around in diet. Mostly I feed salmon pellets to my axolotls and feed lightly with worms. With most aquatic animals overfeeding is a bigger problem than underfeeding.

michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2008   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:

Yeah the worm thing is not going to happen. The first time I fed them worms I made my boyfriend cut them but now he's on vacation. I'm vegetarian and there's no way I can cut live worms anymore...plus it freaked me out that they threw some up.
Is there any other food that does not make a mess besides worms?

Old 20th July 2008   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Terri9967 has shown reliable knowledgeTerri9967 has shown reliable knowledge

Here is a link that will be very helpful for you on your food choices.

http://www.axolotl.org/feeding.htm

Terri9967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #10 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: milly124x is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by brella View Post
Yeah the worm thing is not going to happen. The first time I fed them worms I made my boyfriend cut them but now he's on vacation. I'm vegetarian and there's no way I can cut live worms anymore...plus it freaked me out that they threw some up.
Is there any other food that does not make a mess besides worms?
I don't know if this helps, but worms can't feel pain so it doesn't hurt when u chop them up?

milly124x is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axies, feeding, worms

LinkBack