The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store Donate

colour of offspring?

This is a discussion on colour of offspring? within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; A random question but it has been annoying me. If i had an axolotl of one colour and another axolotl ...

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st August 2008   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: elessarspatriot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default colour of offspring?

A random question but it has been annoying me. If i had an axolotl of one colour and another axolotl of a different colour, is it possible to get babies from the same batch where some are the colour of the male and the others of the female?

e.g golden + wildtype= some wildtype and some golden babies
elessarspatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2008   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11
Default Re: colour of offspring?

Depending on what genes the parents carry, you can get a variety of colored offspring.

For example, if you mated a golden and a wildtype, if the wildtype was recessive for albino, and the golden was recessive for leucistic, you could get wildtype, white albino, and golden albino.
Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2008   #3 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: philbaker76 has given consistently good advice and informationphilbaker76 has given consistently good advice and informationphilbaker76 has given consistently good advice and informationphilbaker76 has given consistently good advice and information

Hi there, I had some eggs off ColinB from the forum - I understand the parents were a gold and a wild type.

I got both Gold and Wild Type hatchlings :-)

Cheers, Phil
philbaker76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2008   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 13
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11

And just to be a little difficult my golden female and wild male produced wildtype, melanoid , gold albino and leucistic ( white) ...though the last two colours where smaller in size and number.
bellabelloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2008   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: elessarspatriot is an unknown quantity at this point

Well thanks guys, i thought that they would have mixed babies but i wasnt sure if the wildtype would have been dominant, i know that my two axies must have at least one parent the same because i got them from the same breeder (which is bad because i didn't really want to inbreed).
elessarspatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2008   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

Inbreeding isn't usually an issue with axolotls.
Old 24th August 2008   #7 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 3
Comments: 10
Rep: oregon newt has given consistently excellent advice and informationoregon newt has given consistently excellent advice and informationoregon newt has given consistently excellent advice and informationoregon newt has given consistently excellent advice and informationoregon newt has given consistently excellent advice and information

I'm confused. I thought when you mix two different recessive traits, you get a normal looking animal that is heterozygous for those traits.
Old 25th August 2008   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:

If both parents carry the recessive trait, up to 25% of the offspring will inherit a recessive copy from both parents, and will display the recessive trait. 50% of the offspring will inherit one copy of the recessive from one parent, and one copy of the dominant from the other parent. They will be heterozygous for this trait (carrying the recessive, but displaying the dominant). The remaining 25% of the offspring will be homozygous for dominant, and will not carry the recessive.

In this case, the two parents would be a golden albino (which is a/a, D/?), and a wildtype (which is A/?, D/?). If the golden albino is a/a, D/d, and the wildtype is A/a, D/d, you will get 25% of the offspring as a/a (albino), 50% as A/a (not albino, recessive for albino), and 25% as A/A (not albino, not recessive for albino). Of the albino offspring, 25% will be d/d (white albino), while the remaining 75% will be golden (D/d or D/D).

THEN you would have leucistics thrown into the mix. Of the non-albinos, 25% would be leucistic (d/d), while the remaining 75% would be wildtype (D/d or D/D).

But it's hard to make blanket statements about what the offspring will look like unless you know what genes the parents have.

Tags
colour, offspring?