The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store Donate

First time setup.. Some questions!

This is a discussion on First time setup.. Some questions! within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; So I bought 2 axolotl's a week ago from petworld who was keeping them at 27 degress celcius! So over ...

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th September 2008   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Bassi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default First time setup.. Some questions!

So I bought 2 axolotl's a week ago from petworld who was keeping them at 27 degress celcius!
So over the last week I've been slowly decreasing the temperature so I wouldn't stress them too much. And it is at about 20 now.

One of my biggest concerns is that they are VERY inactive. They will stay still in one cornor of the tank for atleast one hour before moving a bit. Is this really normal? Also when I feed them some small shrimps they totally ignore them. I HAVE to hand-feed them, or atleast drop the food down on their heads. If I drop the food a little off and I lands 2 cm away from their head they will ignore it. Is this normal?

And my axolot's seem to have blue spots on their heads and gills. Is this normal?

I am also a little concerned about my grain. Does it impose any risk to my axolotl's?
Also if you have any enquries or suggestions about my setup please feel free to say so.

In all the pictures taken of the axolot's they aren't moving. They have been in that exact position for atleast 30 minutes.
Attached Thumbnails
First time setup.. Some questions!-image_030.jpg   First time setup.. Some questions!-image_010.jpg   First time setup.. Some questions!-image_017.jpg   First time setup.. Some questions!-image_022.jpg   First time setup.. Some questions!-image_018.jpg  

First time setup.. Some questions!-image_029.jpg   First time setup.. Some questions!-image_027.jpg   First time setup.. Some questions!-image_028.jpg  
Bassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2008   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: FOG has started on the right path
Default Re: First time setup.. Some questions!

First of all, you have some beautiful axies :). The gravel could be a problem as they could swallow it, and it could get stuck. It'd be a good idea to change it for sand, as they can easily pass it if they swallow it. They tend to be inactive during the day, if you were to watch them of a night they're probably a lot more active. As for feeding, they done have very good eyesight, it takes a while to find the food. Also, a couple more hides may help, I was advised to have 2 per axie, but I'm pretty new to this myself, I'm sure some other people may have other suggestions. Good luck :)

Last edited by FOG; 15th September 2008 at 22:37. Reason: spelling mistake
FOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2008   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 3
Comments: 10
Rep: oregon newt has given consistently excellent advice and informationoregon newt has given consistently excellent advice and informationoregon newt has given consistently excellent advice and informationoregon newt has given consistently excellent advice and informationoregon newt has given consistently excellent advice and information

Is your tnk cycled? If it's not, that could be why they're inactive.
Old 15th September 2008   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Bassi is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregon newt View Post
Is your tnk cycled? If it's not, that could be why they're inactive.
No it isn't.
But will they become more active over time when the bacteria in my filter starts to build up then?
Bassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2008   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 5
Comments: 1
Rep: inkozana has given consistently good advice and informationinkozana has given consistently good advice and informationinkozana has given consistently good advice and informationinkozana has given consistently good advice and information

Remember, axolotls are nocturnal - so they will be most active during the night! Generally their are quiet little creatures through the day, they will walk around and act in a very lazy manner most of the time.

However - if your axolotl is TOO active (swimming back and forth across the tank) there could be something wrong with the water, but that is not something you need to worry about at the moment.
Old 16th September 2008   #6 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 5
Rep: coichards has shown reliable knowledgecoichards has shown reliable knowledge

Hi.
Most fish have to move through the water to remove oxygen. Axolotls just flick their gills through.
Also, if they are asleep they might need to be woken up before feeding
coichards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2008   #7 (permalink)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 3
Rep: blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11

Hi Bassi and welcome to the Forum!

What the others have written is correct - the gravel substrate is a danger to your axolotls. You need more places for them to hide - particularly because you have a light on the lid. I'd also like to add that the light (which axolotls do not like at all) will creat heat, and the lid will trap it. If you need light for the plants, you can have the light on for periods during the day, but you will need to provide many more hiding places so that the axolotls can escape. You will also need to monitor temperature very closely - the temperature should be lower tht 21C at all times.

Also, as everyone wrote, it is indeed very normal for axolotls to remain motionless for hours during the day. They will not necessariy ever become more active, but if they are new to their environment, they might become more active as they become accustomed to their new home. And if you should sneak into their room in the middle of the night, you might be surprised at how active they are!

If yours are new, that might also explain why they do not immediately feed - and even an axolotl that has been in its environment for a long time may not necessarily eat immediately. I have one that is like that - even if I drop food right onto his nose, he lets it fall to the ground, sniffs, and then bites in the wrong direction.

You might try offering them earthworms if you can get them (try a bait shop) - these are a very good food for caudates.

The spots are normal markings and with time, they may even develop more than they have now.

Good luck,

-Eva
blueberlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2008   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: sichbo1 has started on the right path

Great tank! Although it is right that the gravel should be changed for sand. I am sure your axies will be fine. What type of light/wattage are you using? Good luck!
sichbo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2008   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: AGreenDarkness has started on the right path

Your axolotls are adorable! good luck!
AGreenDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
questions, questions!, setup, setup.., time