The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Salmon pellets

This is a discussion on Salmon pellets within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hi everyone!!! I have read about salmon pellets, and I have a question.... does anybody has used this salmon pellets?? ...

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th December 2008   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: Celeste has given good advice and informationCeleste has given good advice and information
Default Salmon pellets

Hi everyone!!!

I have read about salmon pellets, and I have a question.... does anybody has used this salmon pellets?? any experience??

http://www.shop.edsflymeat.com/categ...4?categoryId=5

is this a good food?? I have read about the AGSC salmon pellets, and I dont know if this food is the same thing.

Thanks!!

Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2008   #2 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11
Default Re: Salmon pellets

They appear to be the same pellet that AGSC uses (Rangen brand).

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2008   #3 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

I believe the owner of Edsflymeat is a member on the forum here, although he doesn't make it known. So perhaps he can answer the question for you.

If these are the Rangen pellets (the only ones I have used) then yes they are an excellent complete food for axolotls and I highly recommend them.

Old 9th December 2008   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: geosheets has given consistently good advice and informationgeosheets has given consistently good advice and informationgeosheets has given consistently good advice and information

They are Rangen pellets. I just contacted edsflymeat a few weeks ago on them. The folks at Rangen are actually who referred me to edsflymeat since I didn't want to buy a 50 pound box from them. Michael Shrom, who is also a member here, sells them as well.

geosheets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2008   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Celeste has given good advice and informationCeleste has given good advice and information

Thanks!!! I will try them... just another question... how many pellets do you feed your axies?

Old 10th December 2008   #6 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Use the 15 minute rule a few times a week.

Old 10th December 2008   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:

Thanks!!! I guess this is to let them eat for 15 minutes, and everything they didnt eat, take it away, right???
sorry about my english by the way

Old 10th December 2008   #8 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:

Kind of. You feed them as many as they will eat in 15 minutes, no more. Don't just throw a bunch of pellets in unless you are sure they will all be eaten in a few minutes.

Old 18th May 2009   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:

Hi!!!

This is an old thread, but wanted to be sure!!! I got the small pellets (3 mm) and currently have 2 female axies, the breeder told me they are 5 months old and their sizes are 17.5 and 16.5 cms. I have been following the 15 minute rule, and I am a little concerned about the amount of pellets they eat!! Just being curiose, I was counting, and they ate 93 pellets (each one). I was reading the feeding routine in the AGSC, and they say that when axies are 1 year old, they feed 3 or 4 times a week no more than 5 big pellets!!
Im concerned as I dont know, but I guess, this is too much and I dont want to overfeed them. Their poo, as you can guess, is really big in quantity, they arent stressed and very healthy.

I know each animal is different, but Im thinking this might be excessive!! They eat pellets twice a week and earthworms once a week?

I feed them in separate containers, but when i feed them worms (3 - 8 each one depending on the size) the big axie turns agressive (wants to eat more?) so I am lost about this.

Could someone help me or share any experiencie?

Thanks in advance!

Old 18th May 2009   #10 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 5
Rep: b00f has given good advice and informationb00f has given good advice and informationb00f has given good advice and information

93 Pellets, in one sitting?

WOW!

I have Pellets which are about the roundness of a Pencil, and I give them 3-6 pellets every 4-6 days.

I find by feeding less, water is easier to manage.

Can you find any pictures of the pellets on a website or something Chels?

Ps. Well done with your new babies!
I hope your dad helps setup a brineshrimp (Sea Monkeys basically) colony so you can feed your new little ones.

Last edited by Jacquie; 18th May 2009 at 07:01. Reason: Capitals where appropriate, please...
b00f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009   #11 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: callina is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcallina is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcallina is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcallina is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcallina is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcallina is a mainstay of Caudata.org

93 pellets .....thatīs far too much.

They shouldnīt eat no more than 15 pellets (3mm) 3 times a week. Pellets are a very nutricious diet and if an axies eats too much, it will become thick and problems with his liver are probable.

-Tina-

callina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009   #12 (permalink)

Nationality:

Hi Guys!!! Thanks for the tip....

here is the link:

http://www.shop.edsflymeat.com/produ...5&productId=74

I think they arenīt really 3 mm, as being soft and not regular or equaly shaped, most of them are the way b00f mentioned, like the diameter of a pencilīs graphite.

I have a little (not that little) earthwor farm, I probably try brineshrimp in future (when I can find good ones).My mom used to have fishes and feed them with this, and they died soon, so I think the quality of them in my town is poor.

Luckyly I havent feed them as much many times, so next feeding time, they will be given less, Im thinking 15 as Callina nicely recomends!!

Should I cut down the number of earthworms too?

Thank you for you helpfull responses!!

Old 18th May 2009   #13 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:

Those are just the Rangen salmon food pellets.

Old 22nd May 2009   #14 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Comments: 11
Rep: axolotlgangster has started on the right path

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeste View Post
Hi Guys!!! Thanks for the tip....

here is the link:

http://www.shop.edsflymeat.com/produ...5&productId=74

I think they arenīt really 3 mm, as being soft and not regular or equaly shaped, most of them are the way b00f mentioned, like the diameter of a pencilīs graphite.

I have a little (not that little) earthwor farm, I probably try brineshrimp in future (when I can find good ones).My mom used to have fishes and feed them with this, and they died soon, so I think the quality of them in my town is poor.

Luckyly I havent feed them as much many times, so next feeding time, they will be given less, Im thinking 15 as Callina nicely recomends!!

Should I cut down the number of earthworms too?

Thank you for you helpfull responses!!
i feed mine 3 in the morning and 3 in the night

axolotlgangster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2009   #15 (permalink)

Nationality:

thanks Axolotlgangster!!! what size are your axies?

Old 23rd May 2009   #16 (permalink)
Gim

Nationality:
Rep: Gim is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone know if these are available anywhere in the UK? Mail order is preferable really

Thanks

Gim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2009   #17 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Comments: 11
Rep: axolotlgangster has started on the right path

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeste View Post
thanks Axolotlgangster!!! what size are your axies?
13 to 14 cm 5 to 6 in.

axolotlgangster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pellets, salmon

LinkBack