The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Reptile sand??

This is a discussion on Reptile sand?? within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; I got a larger tank for my fast growing little ones (YAY). Anyway, I am about to decorate. I have ...

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th December 2008   #1 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: kira has given good advice and informationkira has given good advice and information
Lightbulb Reptile sand??

I got a larger tank for my fast growing little ones (YAY). Anyway, I am about to decorate.

I have a whole heap of 'reptile sand', which is not calci-sand, left over from my geckos tank. I got a couple of handfuls and put it in a clean bowl of water. After a really good rinse, the water came clean and has stayed clear ever since. (I started doing this a month and a half ago)

I decided to experiment, and like you would with a normal tank (the sand is still in the bowl), I have been doing regular partial water changes and testing the pH. So far the water has stayed clear and the pH has not risen (or lowered for that matter).

The sand is not really fine, in fact the grain is like beach sand.

Hmmm, should I use it (it is a really pretty earthy colour!!?)?

AD: I need to use more sand because the tank is much bigger and I have live plants!

Old 19th December 2008   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 5
Rep: inkozana has given consistently good advice and informationinkozana has given consistently good advice and informationinkozana has given consistently good advice and informationinkozana has given consistently good advice and information
Default Re: Reptile sand??

I know the sand you mean, and I also want to use it for my tank when I get my hands on a leucistic because I think the colours would go well together.
It should be fine for your axolotl, just check on the package that it is JUST the sand nothing added.
I don't know how plants will be growing in that sand though.. you could test it out but I don't know..

Old 19th December 2008   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

I agree, I think it should be fine.

Old 19th December 2008   #4 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: kira has given good advice and informationkira has given good advice and information

Well I called the pet shop that I bought the sand from (don't know why I didn't do this first) and they advised me that the axies would be ok but the plants wouldn't be because the sand has a dye in it (apparently they could go red!) So I'm thinking that if it's not good for my plants, then its not good for my axies (I don't won't the risk hurting them). I think that I am just going to buy more of the purple sand that Stef loves.

Thanks Jen and Stef

Old 19th December 2008   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 5
Rep: inkozana has given consistently good advice and informationinkozana has given consistently good advice and informationinkozana has given consistently good advice and informationinkozana has given consistently good advice and information

*steals your purple sand*

Old 19th December 2008   #6 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:

lol I might send you some!!!

Old 19th December 2008   #7 (permalink)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 3
Rep: blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kira View Post
...they advised me that the axies would be ok but the plants wouldn't be because the sand has a dye in it ... So I'm thinking that if it's not good for my plants, then its not good for my axies...
Good for you. "It's ok for axolotls but not for plants" sure sounds like stupidity to me. Could it possibly be true?

-Eva

Albert Einstein
blueberlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2008   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 9
Comments: 10
Rep: IanF has given consistently good advice and informationIanF has given consistently good advice and informationIanF has given consistently good advice and informationIanF has given consistently good advice and information

If it has dyes that can dye plants, it'll do the same to the water and the Axolotls. Plus reptile sand might have calcium in it... might affect the water pH or something along those lines. I feel I've just pointed out the obvious but there you go... =P

Old 19th December 2008   #9 (permalink)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 3
Rep: blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11

Nothing obvious about it to me! The only thing I know about reptiles is my mother-in-law.

I don't know about the dyes though - maybe some kind of food dye could theoretically be harmless? I just keep picturing technicolor lotls...(Folks, please do not try this at home!)

-Eva

Albert Einstein

Last edited by blueberlin; 19th December 2008 at 17:50. Reason: typo
blueberlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2008   #10 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:

Hmmm the last thing I want is to have my beautiful wildtype axies go a earthy brown!!

The purple sand that I currently use is great!! It is ground quartz (I think!!) and has not caused any water or axie issues. So I will continue with it then.

Tags
reptile, sand, sand??

LinkBack