The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

OH NO! Suggestions????

This is a discussion on OH NO! Suggestions???? within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; I woke up this morning to find water all over the floor and kitchen bench. Giselle's tank is busted and ...

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th January 2009   #1 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: kira has given good advice and informationkira has given good advice and information
Exclamation OH NO! Suggestions????

I woke up this morning to find water all over the floor and kitchen bench. Giselle's tank is busted and I don't know where! I have no where to put her except into the bigger tank with Slimely and Squishy which are about 7cm smaller then Giselle and Giselle has been quarratined because I only got her on Christmas Eve!

What do I do????

I can't put her in a bucket because its toooo hot and I can't put her in the fridge because I have just done a lot of baking and all of my containers are in use???

Suggestions?????

Old 4th January 2009   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 5
Rep: b00f has given good advice and informationb00f has given good advice and informationb00f has given good advice and information
Default Re: OH NO! Suggestions????

is this the tank you have just "cooled"???

this is really bad luck....

ice cream container, something...

how "busted" is the tank??

b00f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2009   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 9
Comments: 12
Rep: Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11

Hi Kira,

Do you have a casserole dish, glass bowl, lunch box, esky, bucket?...anything that can hold water will do for the emergency.

If you have a full tub of icecream in the fridge - eat it all or transfer to a bowl to pop back in the freezer and give the tub to Giselle lol.

For the heat if you can't put Giselle in the fridge, I would put the container in an esky or find the coolest place in the house and put the container there (lower to the ground is cooler).

Was the tank sitting on a foam base? If not, there is possibly an uneven surface or nick on your bench top that has caused the tank to crack due to uneven pressure.

Useful links: Forum Rules | Axolotl Caresheets | Axolotl Sanctuary | Axolotl FAQ| Water Quality FAQ | Caudata Culture Articles
Jacquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2009   #4 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: kira has given good advice and informationkira has given good advice and information

Esky brillant! Sorry totally panicked I will clean the esky and set it up as a tank, filter and all. The tank was on a styrofoam base, but is has a thin plastic bottom. I can't see where it is busted, it must only be small, but there is water everywhere, all over electricials AHHHHH!! What a mess! And the funny then is that I thought that the water level was going down but never paid much attention.

@b00f: Not really, it cooled my bigger tank. Giselle's tank wasn't too bad, I just put some styrofoam under hers and on one side and the back.

Oh bugger!!

Thanks so much guys!

Old 4th January 2009   #5 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: ferret_corner has given consistently excellent advice and informationferret_corner has given consistently excellent advice and informationferret_corner has given consistently excellent advice and informationferret_corner has given consistently excellent advice and informationferret_corner has given consistently excellent advice and information

yeah any container that will float or fit in the fridge. If you can find one that floats - you can put that inside the other tank - you'll need a lid and air holes and prepare for displaced water.

I'm sorry that sucks! I hope you can patch it.

Sharon

ferret_corner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2009   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: geosheets has given consistently good advice and informationgeosheets has given consistently good advice and informationgeosheets has given consistently good advice and information

Even a food storage bag would work in an absolute pinch.

geosheets is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
suggestions, suggestions????

LinkBack