The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store Donate

axolotls and other fish

This is a discussion on axolotls and other fish within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; I have an axolotl and also in a seperate larger tank some tropical fish: loaches, silver sharks, and angel fish. ...

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th January 2009   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: diannpf has started on the right path
Default axolotls and other fish

I have an axolotl and also in a seperate larger tank some tropical fish: loaches, silver sharks, and angel fish. Can I put my axie in with these fish. The water temp is at 26degrees.
diannpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2009   #2 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: kira has given good advice and informationkira has given good advice and information
Default Re: axolotls and other fish

Absolutely not. Firstly, that is way to warm for an axolotl. Ideally, axies should be kept at 14-18C. Secondly, axies aren't tropical animals!!

Axolotls are animals that should not have any tank mates (unless it is another axie of a similar size). Either the axie will eat all of your other fish or the fish could have spines or barbs that will injury an axolotl when it gets eaten. Some fish might also 'attack' your axie because the gills can be mistaken for bloodworms or the fish could damage the slime coat on your axie.

Check this out

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/M...isasters.shtml

http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Am...exicanum.shtml -scroll down to housing

Hope this helps!!
Old 4th January 2009   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: ferret_corner has given consistently excellent advice and informationferret_corner has given consistently excellent advice and informationferret_corner has given consistently excellent advice and informationferret_corner has given consistently excellent advice and informationferret_corner has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default Re: axolotls and other fish

Just to add my two cents and show that majority rules - keeping fish with axolotls is dangerous and deadly.

Not a good idea.

Sharon
ferret_corner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axolotls, fish