The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Name suggestions?

This is a discussion on Name suggestions? within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hello everyone! I'm fel from Australia, new to these forums and I just got an axolotl today. He is a ...

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th March 2009   #1 (permalink)
fel

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: fel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Name suggestions?

Hello everyone!
I'm fel from Australia, new to these forums and I just got an axolotl today. He is a beautiful wild type - olive with pretty black spots and very outgoing. BUT I need a name for him! (He's still youngish - I'm assuming it's a he).

Any suggestions??

[He's my first axolotl - when I was three my brothers had a black one but I wasn't old enough to look after him.]

fel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2009   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Kerry1968 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgKerry1968 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgKerry1968 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgKerry1968 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgKerry1968 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgKerry1968 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgKerry1968 is a mainstay of Caudata.org
Default Re: Name suggestions?

Sorry, not good with names! Congratulations on your first very own axie! We need pictures now, you can't just expect us to imagine how gorgeous he is can you?

Kerry1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2009   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 9
Comments: 12
Rep: Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11

Hi Fel,

I agree with Kerry, you can't torment us like this! We love photos.

This thread: (Why did you give your axie that name?) may assist you in finding a name for your axolotl.

I wouldn't agonise over this too much however, as axolotls never come when called anyway.

My axolotls do come charging over at the sight of the food barrel though .

Welcome to the site!

Useful links: Forum Rules | Axolotl Caresheets | Axolotl Sanctuary | Axolotl FAQ| Water Quality FAQ | Caudata Culture Articles
Jacquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2009   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 5
Comments: 6
Rep: tran has given consistently excellent advice and informationtran has given consistently excellent advice and informationtran has given consistently excellent advice and informationtran has given consistently excellent advice and information

Jacq is right, the name is really for YOU not the axolotl

But it's a good way to pay homage to someone you admire, a particular story or song you like, an inanimate object you always thought was cute...the possibilities are endless, as you can imagine...

But I am bored lol, so I will list out some of the aforementioned possibilities that I can think of off the top of my head:

Famous Scientists and Mathematicians (if you are a geek like me ):
Joule, Newton, Darwin, Boltzmann, Volta, Archimedes, Maxwell, etc

From literature:
Ichabod Crane, Dorian Grey, Huck Finn, Gandalf, Viola, Hamlet, etc

From pop culture:
Kermit, Woodstock, Axl Rose (this name is really popular on this forum, lol), Dolly, Twiggy, etc

Darn, I wasn't able to think of as many as I'd like... but you get the idea. As long as you like it, that's all that matters, go wild!

Old 17th March 2009   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: SUZY has shown reliable knowledge

I like to call all my axies he's until they can show me otherwise, cous I think that they wouldhave a complex if it was the other way around. But....I usually come up with names that sould go either way or even shorten to fix things.
Kinda like Kirmit, Fozie, Jade, Ollie(ver). Just ask Tran, I could go on.

SUZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2009   #6 (permalink)
fel

Nationality:

Sorry it took me so long to reply! It's finally the end of a very long and painful working week and I have returned to using the net for pleasure rather than work lol.

Thanks for all the name suggestions. My housemate got a gold axolotl and called hers Aristotle.. So I was thinking maybe a philosopher's name or maybe Olive or Olivier.. Or a French name or something. Gosh it's so hard. But he's been such a darl and hand feeds and everything (it's so cute!) I tried taking some photos but I need a tripod or something because they didn't turn out very well - what do you guys do? I really need to take some better ones, these don't do the little cutie justice.
Attached Thumbnails
Name suggestions?-p1060720.jpg   Name suggestions?-p1060717.jpg   Name suggestions?-p1060722.jpg  

Old 20th March 2009   #7 (permalink)
Veterinarian

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11

Hi Fel,

What lovely axies. The names you thought of are so posh as well. Just a little note though. You are using some gravel which i fear might potentially lead to impactions. I would recommend you keep the tank bare bottomed or switch to sand (anything less than 2mm in diameter).

Cheers

Old 20th March 2009   #8 (permalink)
fel

Nationality:

Is the gravel too small Darkmaverick? :S

Old 20th March 2009   #9 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 3
Comments: 10
Rep: oregon newt has given consistently excellent advice and informationoregon newt has given consistently excellent advice and informationoregon newt has given consistently excellent advice and informationoregon newt has given consistently excellent advice and informationoregon newt has given consistently excellent advice and information

I'm afraid that it appears so.

Old 20th March 2009   #10 (permalink)
fel

Nationality:

Oh no

Tags