The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store Donate

Tiny white worms all over tank

This is a discussion on Tiny white worms all over tank within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hi all, first post :) Have my first axolotl all set up for a little over a month now, had ...

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th April 2009   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: thistly has started on the right path
Default Tiny white worms all over tank

Hi all, first post :)
Have my first axolotl all set up for a little over a month now, had some ups and downs already (little guy or girl swallowed and luckily puked up some gravel the pet store owner assured me wouldn't be dangerous... grrrr) but seems pretty healthy and has a good appetite :)

Just noticed when I tured on the aquarium light (normally stays off) thousands of very very small fine wormy critters all over the inside walls and floor, about a millimeter long and as wide as a hair. Thought they might be some kinda fibrous stuff lining the tank but lo and behold, they wriggle purposefully around the place, 20 or so on every square inch of surface, seems absolutely infested in there.
I can't see any on the axolotl, but they're transparent or white and he/she's leucistic so difficult to tell...
Couldn't get a good photo sorry, anyone know based on my poor description what these little buggers might be and how to get rid of them?
thistly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2009   #2 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 42
Comments: 9
Rep: SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11
Default Re: Tiny white worms all over tank

Sounds like a case of planaria or even oligochaetes to me. These little guys are really nothing to worry about.

Check this out:http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/Tank_critters.shtml
SludgeMunkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2009   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: crazyfishlady has started on the right path

Those are detritus worms and are signs that you may need a water change. They usually start showing up when there's overfeeding, large bio-loads, or underfiltration of the tank. They are harmless and can actually help clean the tank. If you would like to start removing them make some water changes. http://www.aquarium-pond-answers.com...s-in-fish.html
Old 12th April 2009   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: thistly has started on the right path

What a relief, thankyou both!
Was dreading having to empty tank and start cycling over if they were parasites or otherwise nasty.
Axie eats all that he's fed (apart from cookie monster style crumbs from shaking food around, which get vacuumed up), Water's clear and I thought it was spic and span, but upon closer inspection it wasn't nearly as clean as I thought - Didn't realize so much poop and gunk was hidden in there! I clean the bare floor, plants and small river rocks routinely, which works out a 10% water change every 2 days, but hadn't checked under the large flat rocks or fake log which were filthy! I guess this is why my ammonia was reading worrying higher lately. Gave everything a thorough vacuum (left the worms on the walls alone, hehe) and changed water about 20%, hopefully with the filth gone the worm population goes down now.
I've put a big ramshorn snail dubbed Curly in there to help keep it tidy, too - It's fun to watch the Axie hunting the snail very seriously, but his persistent but relatively tiny mouth "whoosh" doing nothing to bother the big ol' granddaddy snail at all, hehe
thistly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, tiny, white, worms