The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store Donate

How long will my babies be eating brine shrimp?

This is a discussion on How long will my babies be eating brine shrimp? within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Well I have been hatching brine shrimp eggs and culturing microworms over a week now and am just wondering as ...

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Greatwtehunter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th August 2009   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 6
Comments: 1
Rep: Toptex has started on the right path
Default How long will my babies be eating brine shrimp?

Well I have been hatching brine shrimp eggs and culturing microworms over a week now and am just wondering as to how long will my babies be on this diet. Weeks? Months? Not that I'm complaining!!
Also, does axie larvae eat dead brine shrimp or should I change their water before it fouls?
Cheers
MA
Attached Thumbnails
How long will my babies be eating brine shrimp?-dsc_0274.jpg  
Old 10th August 2009   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 68
Rep: otterwoman goes to 11otterwoman goes to 11otterwoman goes to 11otterwoman goes to 11otterwoman goes to 11otterwoman goes to 11otterwoman goes to 11otterwoman goes to 11otterwoman goes to 11otterwoman goes to 11otterwoman goes to 11
Default Re: How long will my babies be eating brine shrimp?

Hi Toptex,
your babies will probably eat them until they are big enough to eat something bigger and you feed it to them. I don't mean to sound flippant, and maybe someone else can give you a time frame, but it really does involve watching how fast they grow and then giving them something bigger.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2009   #3 (permalink)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 3
Rep: blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11

If I remember correctly, my larvae grew about 1 cm a week, so it is only a matter of weeks, not months, until you can move on to bigger foods.

The larvae are almost certain not to eat the dead shrimp, so you should be changing the water a couple of hours after feeding.

Congrats on the little ones, by the way!

-Eva

Albert Einstein
blueberlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2009   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 298
Comments: 24
Rep: Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11

If I can remember correctly, my axolotl larvae were feeding on baby brine shrimp for only about 3 weeks before I moved them onto whiteworms. I know of a few members who have skipped the BBS and started them out on minced blackworms. Personally, I don't have the time or patience to mince them up that small.

Axolotl larvae will only recognize moving objects as food for the first couple of weeks so you can bet they aren't eating the dead brine shrimp.
Old 11th August 2009   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 6
Rep: Toptex has started on the right path

Thanks guys for your replies.
I had forgotten how demanding babies can be!!

Cheers
MA
Old 11th August 2009   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 7
Rep: sharelkaye has started on the right path

I have some babies right now and they are a little bit smaller than an inch now. I started off feeding them live baby brine shrimp then tried frozen baby brine shrimp as well as frozen cyclops and they loved it. Now the size that they are I have started them on choped up frozen blood worms and they are doing great and getting big.
sharelkaye is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
babies, brine, eating, long, shrimp