The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Taking an axolotl overseas?

This is a discussion on Taking an axolotl overseas? within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hello! I'm a relatively new axolotl owner (and loving every minute of it--his name is Zammo). However, since getting the ...

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd August 2009   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Gnoll is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Taking an axolotl overseas?

Hello! I'm a relatively new axolotl owner (and loving every minute of it--his name is Zammo). However, since getting the little guy I've had a few changes in direction in my life. Because of this, I will be moving from the US to London, England in the fall of next year. It's a little while off, but I'm making plans early, and I have an important situation to deal with: what about Zammo? I can live with parting with my fish, but I would hate to have to give up my axie after only a year. So, since some of you may know this, is it possible for me to take him? I know people can take dogs and cats and such, but sometimes reptiles and amphibians have restrictions. Is it possible to somehow take him on the plane, or would I have to have him shipped? Is it even possible to ship an axolotl that far? I'd be willing to pay for it. Can anyone point me to a website or something about this? I've not had much luck besides info about dogs, cats, and birds. Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

Gnoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2009   #2 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11
Default Re: Taking an axolotl overseas?

One member who did a similar move in the recent-ish past is Pin-pin Wei (username Apples). You may try contacting her, as I'm sure she has some insight.

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2009   #3 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 42
Comments: 9
Rep: SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11

Isn't it a violation of CITES to transport axolotls across borders??

SludgeMunkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2009   #4 (permalink)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: michael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by SludgeMunkey View Post
Isn't it a violation of CITES to transport axolotls across borders??
You just need the proper paperwork. In the old days you could get a permit for personal pets and skip some of the red tape. I have my doubts about it now. Fish and Wildlife officials are not as family friendly as they used to be. They are now part of Homeland Security and act like it.

I think the simplest thing would be to fine somebody to adopt your salamander and purchase a new one after you relocate.

michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2009   #5 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 3
Rep: oceanblue goes to 11oceanblue goes to 11oceanblue goes to 11oceanblue goes to 11oceanblue goes to 11oceanblue goes to 11oceanblue goes to 11oceanblue goes to 11oceanblue goes to 11oceanblue goes to 11oceanblue goes to 11

For the British end start with DEFRA and the e.mail contact within this form:
www.dts-worldwide.com/Forms/CustomsForms/UK/c5.pdf

Several years ago I am aware of an axolotl imported as hand luggage in a cool bag. I gather even then it was tricky, subjected to a lot of X-rays and the inability to take other hand luggage was a problem.

See what your chosen airline says! I suspect the American end will be the least of your problems and I'd also advise trying to find an alternative owner.

oceanblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2009   #6 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

You need CITES paper work to do this. If you did not receive CITES paper work from the breeder of the axolotl then you can forget about this.

Tags
axolotl, overseas, taking

LinkBack