The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Malaysian Trumpet Snails

This is a discussion on Malaysian Trumpet Snails within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Having these snails in my axolotl tank a bad idea? They have a very hard shell, are nocturnal, grow about ...

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd December 2009   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: mitcg has started on the right path
Exclamation Malaysian Trumpet Snails

Having these snails in my axolotl tank a bad idea?
They have a very hard shell, are nocturnal, grow about an Inch.
Im pretty sure axolotls eat snails, witch is fine by me, I just don't want it to choke on it.

mitcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2009   #2 (permalink)
Veterinarian

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11
Default Re: Malaysian Trumpet Snails

With snails i find it a bit tricky. You want to have them either small enough to be eaten safely or so huge that they cannot be eaten. The 'impaction' sized ones can be dangerous.

Old 3rd December 2009   #3 (permalink)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 3
Rep: blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11

Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't these the snails that burrow into and through the substrate?* If they are, they are wonderful in a tank - for that very reason. They are great at helping prevent dead pockets in the sand. And they pose no threat to the axolotls - as long as the water and snails are healthy, you'll never see them.

*I only know them by their German name, so just want to be sure.

-Eva

Albert Einstein
blueberlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2009   #4 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Comments: 3
Rep: Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11

Those are exactly the snails you are thinking of, Eva. Considered a pest by many aquarists, they are mostly beneficial and the only time you'll see them is at dusk, dawn or when you suddenly turn the lights on after a period of darkness. The females are parthenogenic and thus can reproduce without any help. A single snail can populate a tank. It should also be noted that these are a tropical species and have an optimal baseline temperature of about 18C.

The only concern I would have would be the possible risk of impaction if an axolotl decided to try and eat one. I think that's a pretty minor concern.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | Dawn's Blog
Abrahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2009   #5 (permalink)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: Shizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.orgShizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.orgShizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.orgShizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.orgShizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.orgShizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.orgShizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.org

I just looked at this snail on google images, and although it may be a minor concern of an axolotl eating one...the shape of the snail makes it even more of a concern in my opinion. Their shells look extremely sharp, so if an axolotl were to eat one, no mater how slim the chances, it would wreak havoc on their stomach and intestines. I would personally not risk placing them in my tank with my axolotls. I don't think the benefit outweighs the risk.

Shizeric is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axolotl., choke, dangerous, food, snails

LinkBack