The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Hey everyone, lets all do a great job in caring for our axolotls.

This is a discussion on Hey everyone, lets all do a great job in caring for our axolotls. within the Axolotl General Discussion forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Axolotls are considered critically endangered ( Axolotl - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ). Not much is left of them in ...

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th December 2009   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: kinkyoto has shown reliable knowledge
Default Hey everyone, lets all do a great job in caring for our axolotls.

Axolotls are considered critically endangered (Axolotl - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). Not much is left of them in the wild (BBC - Earth News - Axolotl verges on wild extinction).
Just a reminder that we have something precious to take care of. Let's all do our part in trying to protect these beautiful creatures. I LOVE AXOLOTLS!

kinkyoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2009   #2 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11
Default Re: Hey everyone, lets all do a great job in caring for our axolotls.

While there may not be many left in the wild, there are plenty of them in captivity.

If you're that adamant about saving species from extinction (which I commend!!) I recommend joining forces with ecological action teams. Habitat loss is the biggest cause of extinction for herps far and wide. Save the habitats to save the animals.

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2009   #3 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 2
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)
Default Re: Hey everyone, lets all do a great job in caring for our axolotls.

In addition to what Kaysie said (they may be endangered in the wild, but they are surprinsingly abundant in captivity), i would like to point out that captive axolotls for the most part barely resemble the original species. They have been hybridized, selected for mutations, inbred to exhaustion, and submitted to no positive selection. No that they are not amazing, fascinating and beautiful, but they have almost nothing to do with the wild animals. Conserving and protecting the captive stock makes absolutely no difference to the wild populations.

We all agree that axolotl owners MUST do their best to guarantee their animal´s health and well-being, but as i said, that has no impact whatsoever for the species in the wild. Thankfully, efforts are being made in conservation and management of their habitat...hopefully the axolotls will survive for many many years to come.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack